Finally!

caheaton

Greenie
May 16, 2011
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 & F70
I finally tamed the wild beast and corralled my first buffalo! I've been out of the hobby for the past 3 years (I bounce among hobbies) and just got back into it this week. On my first outing back I headed out to a local park that dates to the early 20's and found only a bit of clad and trash (my prior experience with this park and typical for me).

Well, today I headed out to that same park. Instead of hunting around the covered picnic shelter (built in the 30's by the WPA) I decided to try a different spot...I eyeballed what appeared to be the oldest picnic table in the park (old concrete rather than of modern construction) and hunted in its vicinity. I set the F2 to block only iron and started to swing. I immediately realized this was going to be slow and difficult....targets everywhere! I tried to focus on targets that seemed consistent, though next time I may switch to the 4" coil (I was using the 8").

My first hit was a zinc target...normally I might skip these but decided what the heck, maybe I'll get lucky and it's a gold ring or something :-). Turned out to be a 1989 cent in decent shape (had only just begun to get a few bumps on the front).

The next few targets were trash....quite a few old style pull tabs so I considered that a good sign. The old style tabs outnumbered the sta-tabs....probably because it was such an ugly table compared to the others that it hasn't been getting as much use of late.

As I was scanning I hit a target that was reading fairly consistent nickel, though it did jump around a bit, but the signal was nickel about 75% of the time with consistent VDI numbers so I decided to dig. About 3 to 4 inches down there it was....my first buffalo! At first I thought it was just an old Jefferson until I scrubbed it a bit with my glove and saw a leg...whoohoo! :D
It's also the oldest coin I've found to date, with my prior record being a 1920 cent from an old school yard. (The buffalo is a 1916 P in well worn condition...the date is just a ghost but readable). Ever hopeful, I decided to scan the hole again....there was still another target in there (forget what it was showing on the screen), but as luck would have it, there was a pull tab maybe an inch and a half away and around 2 inches deep adjacent to the nickel. I know others have worked the park, so that pull tab may just be what allowed that nickel to stay there until the F2 came along.

Sadly, the rest of the hunt only yielded quite a bit more trash, a couple more zinc cents and a clad dime, but that old buffalo made it worth all the while. Looking forward to hitting that area again...perhaps with the F70 (though I need practice with that one....haven' t yet become familiar with its sounds).

Attachments

• buffo.JPG
    buffo.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 76
  • buffr.JPG
    buffr.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 54
Upvote 19

WVExplorer

Jul 9, 2014
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Garret Carrot, Recently retired Bounty Hunter Quicksilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. Nice find. I struggle finding the Nickels.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats my hunts are like yours most of the time but the fun thing is with every signal you know once in a while something cool is going to pop out Good job.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet and back to the hobby Tommy

_muppet_

Nov 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks pretty good for a buffalo. I've dug quite a few and only have one or two with dates. Congrats : ) Only missed the V by 4 years.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old Buff, congrats! :occasion14:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some crazy reason we all struggle to find the buffs, and struggle harder to find one with a date. Congratulations of your first and super congratulations on being able to date it!

Swamp Fox

Sep 22, 2019
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Minelab Equinox 600 Garrett A T Pro Garrett A T Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting for over 10 years and just found my first buffalo nickels last Friday and in my own front yard that I've hit with at least 6 different detectors. I found one and then the second about 8" away.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your first Buff! It's such a nice feeling to cross a new coin off your list. You have to be persistent and be willing to dig " trash" signals to get an old nickel like yours. You done good!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread