Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Findin' anything??

Another thread got me to thinking about this as well as the barrage of stupid questions I have been bombarded with lately.
I am apalled at how the general public has no manners to mind their own business. Everyone from the kiddies asking tons of well meaning questions where their parents should step in and make them leave us alone, to teeneagers with their smart @$$ed remarks such as the very original "beep beep beep, followed by stupid giggles, and "hey Bill Murray, Hey Bill Murray", right on up to adults with "findin' anything, whats the best thing you ever found" right on up to old folks with the example in this original post to lectures that " what gives you the right to find other peoples stuff", yep I've been asked that one myself. People of all ages have no manners. When people ask me whats the best thing I've ever found, I tell them "one day it was beautiful and sunny and the water was so calm it was like a sheet of glass, I hunted for 8 hours straight and not 1 person asked me a stupid question at all". That usually does the trick.

I think the next time I have a day to hunt, I'm going to do something different. I'm going to go to tot lots and run up to kids and say"Hey kid, whats that little dump truck for? What are you hauling? Why do you swing on that swing set? Did you build this road out here?" Then I'm going on over to the golf course and get in a golf cart, drive right out on the fairway to some golfers and say" What are you guys doing? How much did those clubs cost? Ever win the PGA tournament, followed by laughter of course, and Whats the best score you ever made?" Then its on to rent a boat and I'm gonna pull right up to someone fishing and start again "Catchin' anything? How much did that boat cost? Whats the biggest fish you ever caught? Have you caught enough fish to pay for that boat yet?"
Does anyone get my point? This is a damn hobby, I should not have to stop in the middle of enjoying it to answer foolish questions. Other people enjoy their hobbies and if asked the same kind of questions they would either think you were 1. crazy or 2 stupid or 3. both. So if some of you enjoy playing 20 questions with Joe Public, thats your business and to each his own. But some of us want to make the most of the limited time we have to hunt and really get tired of the same B.S. so don't try to make everyone react to the questions the same way.

Upvote 0

mtwolf2270

Sep 2, 2008
Wow, I have been reading the replies to this thread. All I can say is really? Either I have found the lost journal for Dr.Phil or we have a ton of people who are full of s*it. The point was simply this; why can people not just ask a few polite questions and then leave us in peace. Sure I will answer the occasional question not to be an "AMBASSADOR" but because I was rasied to be a decent human being and let people have thier space without hassle. Unlike the kids Captain is referring too who's parents could care less, if they set fire to restroom or anything else as long as they leave them alone. I hunt with Captain and have been there to be subject to the BS he is refferring and for the record it is not the polite curious people. In fact just yesterday we were hunting a lake and we both were asked question by "nice and polite people" guess what we answered all the questions just as all you claim to. It is the annoying smata** people, who just like many here want to hear themselves speak. For MBbeachrat save your self help horse Sh*t for Dr. Phil fans. It is common sense the point was not every person with a question but the annoying people who should just keep thier mouths shut, cause they have nothing nice to say. If you truly believe you can win them over, then waste your hunting time all you want, to each his own. Let me know when and where you are, cause while your wasting your time, I will be treasure hunting. Oh yes I said treasure hunting, casue I am not hunting trash, pull tabs and clad! Oh and for MBbeachrat another point just cause someones tag is not diamonds and gold or as awesome as "Mbbeachrat" does not infer that they hunt for clad cause trust me our finds qualify as treasure!

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and u my friend are preaching 2 the choir

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
Another thread got me to thinking about this as well as the barrage of stupid questions I have been bombarded with lately.
I am apalled at how the general public has no manners to mind their own business. Everyone from the kiddies asking tons of well meaning questions where their parents should step in and make them leave us alone, to teeneagers with their smart @$$ed remarks such as the very original "beep beep beep, followed by stupid giggles, and "hey Bill Murray, Hey Bill Murray", right on up to adults with "findin' anything, whats the best thing you ever found" right on up to old folks with the example in this original post to lectures that " what gives you the right to find other peoples stuff", yep I've been asked that one myself. People of all ages have no manners. When people ask me whats the best thing I've ever found, I tell them "one day it was beautiful and sunny and the water was so calm it was like a sheet of glass, I hunted for 8 hours straight and not 1 person asked me a stupid question at all". That usually does the trick.

Again he sounds like and angry idiot. It looks like most of the forum thinks he sounds angry. I believe the general public has manners and you must understand they ask questions. It should be part of the fun. I do not think he really is and agry idiot. He just wrote a post when he was angry. No big deal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Captain Loosechange

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again he sounds like and angry idiot. It looks like most of the forum thinks he sounds angry. I believe the general public has manners and you must understand they ask questions. It should be part of the fun. I do not think he really is and agry idiot. He just wrote a post when he was angry. No big deal.
The word is an, it's a little different than "and". Maybe one of the friends you make on the beach can lend you an English book,LOL! A typo is 1 thing but the repeated misuse of a word is another and yes I misspelled Ambassador purposefully as the 1st guy to jump all over my post was putting "Embassador".
Whatever dude you can chit chat 'til the cows come home for all I care and give Metal Detector demonstrations all day long. As one fellow posted in response to my post said, some people seem to be lonely and don't really go out to hunt, but to talk and hey thats fine. I'm thankfully not a lonely person and don't need that from strangers.
Also your comment earlier about folks being on vacation and without them I wouldn't have my treasure to find, well folks aren't coming to vacation at the lake here where I do 90% of my water hunting so again you're talking without knowing what you are talking about. I fresh water hunt 90% of my water hunting, but regardless I never said that they don't have a right to be there..... of course they have every right to be there as much as I do and I do not question that, it is the fact that I don't pester folks having a good time doing what they think is fun, so they should return the gesture and not pester me.
So you do not agree with my take on this, just say that, and stop with the idiot talk, or at least when you are calling someone else an idiot don't do it with words that make you look like the idiot.

Last edited:

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Also your comment earlier about folks being on vacation and without them I wouldn't have my treasure to find, well folks aren't coming to vacation at the lake here where I do 90% of my water hunting .

Well then, I am very surprised they still ask you so many question. I did not say your and (an) idiot I said you souned like one when your angry and wrote the post. I am sure you did not have a good that day. I know I have wrote things on forums I wish I haven't like getting into this. But I will have one more funny one IMHO coming.

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
but when they are following you like a leach and reaching for your scoop and asking really loudly "what did you find" every time you start to dig a signal, well thats when the parents need to step in and say enough is enough. Honestly alot of the times the parents use us as baby sitters so their kids are occupied. I would never let my kids wonder around and out of site with a stranger, so I can't really understand why others do. Good thing I am not a pedofile, some parents just don't think.

They follow you like a leach? Asking really loudly "what did you find" everytime you dig. Parents using you as baby sitter? Really is it that bad. Must be at a hell of a lake. And yes They are lucky your not a pedofile! You spell very well!

OP
OP
Captain Loosechange

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well then, I am very surprised they still ask you so many question. I did not say your and (an) idiot I said you souned like one when your angry and wrote the post. I am sure you did not have a good that day. I know I have wrote things on forums I wish I haven't like getting into this. But I will have one more funny one IMHO coming.
Well only to say that YOU say that I was angry, I never said that and I was no angrier than I am any other time about this subject, and while you may regret your posts or whatever I do not regret this at all. As I have said before, I am who I am as Popeye would say and I meant every word I said and I still do, the replies for this forum do not surprise me in the least, but that won't keep me from posting what I believe.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I have been reading the replies to this thread. All I can say is really? Either I have found the lost journal for Dr.Phil or we have a ton of people who are full of s*it. The point was simply this; why can people not just ask a few polite questions and then leave us in peace. Sure I will answer the occasional question not to be an "AMBASSADOR" but because I was rasied to be a decent human being and let people have thier space without hassle. Unlike the kids Captain is referring too who's parents could care less, if they set fire to restroom or anything else as long as they leave them alone. I hunt with Captain and have been there to be subject to the BS he is refferring and for the record it is not the polite curious people. In fact just yesterday we were hunting a lake and we both were asked question by "nice and polite people" guess what we answered all the questions just as all you claim to. It is the annoying smata** people, who just like many here want to hear themselves speak. For MBbeachrat save your self help horse Sh*t for Dr. Phil fans. It is common sense the point was not every person with a question but the annoying people who should just keep thier mouths shut, cause they have nothing nice to say. If you truly believe you can win them over, then waste your hunting time all you want, to each his own. Let me know when and where you are, cause while your wasting your time, I will be treasure hunting. Oh yes I said treasure hunting, casue I am not hunting trash, pull tabs and clad! Oh and for MBbeachrat another point just cause someones tag is not diamonds and gold or as awesome as "Mbbeachrat" does not infer that they hunt for clad cause trust me our finds qualify as treasure!
Good thiing you came in as his tag team partner, he was getting overwhelmed by everyone. He got so upset he started name calling like a 5 year old and telling people they couldnt spell. Some people cant handle it when everyone disagrees with them. At least hes got you. Ill leave you two alone now so you can high five and fist bump.

Last edited:

BigBeefy

Jan 19, 2010
Knoxvegas, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI...it's pedophile.
I was a proof reader while in the Marines.
I love pointing out words that are incorrect.
To do it in a forum though would be a full-time job.
Thanks to people posting using phones now, it's much easier to mistype without knowing.
Back on topic, I too answer some questions but the ones that ask how much my detector cost really bother me. I would never ask how much your tennis racket cost. Kids getting in the way annoys me too, but I love the really interested people. It makes up for the jerks that point and laugh.
The other day while at the lake I was hunting and heard the kiddos laughing it up. Early twenties I would guess. I got a pull tab signal, I bent down to dig it and when I found it I yelled out quietly a nice little "YES!!". Then pocketed my pull tab. A couple of the people stopped laughing and one came over and asked what I had found. I simple answered "a ring that just paid off my detector" and went on my way with a big ol' grin as they all checked their hands for a lost ring.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to answer the original post, yes I too am kinda fed up with the questions. It is always the same darn ones :) the best you found? hunting treasure?
on the beach always some kiddos come right when I am digging my hole. then they get their paws in there trying to uncover the treasure (always happens on every beach trip--lol)

I am a loner type. I do this for me. I do not want to chat. I have limited time. I need that time to do my hobby. Not stand and answer sometimes dumb questions. I used to chat a bit out of respect for the questions asked, but now I give very short answers and then give the wave and walk on. Keep detector up and get out of range. Just to avoid people.

I wouldn't do it back to anyone :laughing9:

mostly I skirt away from people. avoid eye contact. look 'very busy' and give the shoulder and all that to avoid contact.

I don't know. I want this for me. I want alone time. I want to be left alone. So I can see where the original post is coming from because I like the loner situation. I don't want to teach, instruct, chat or whatever. Another detectorist, sure I chat. We talk the same language then :)

OP
OP
Captain Loosechange

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thiing you came in as his tag team partner, he was getting overwhelmed by everyone. He got so upset he started name calling like a 5 year old and telling people they couldnt spell. Some people cant handle it when everyone disagrees with them. At least hes got you. Ill leave you two alone now so you can high five and fist bump.
Overwhelmed? Hardly, name calling, I don't think so, MBbeachrat pointed out what a poor choice my forum name is since I consider my self a Treasure Hunter (which he scoffed at) and I simply said I should have chosen a name that described me as well as the 1 he chose did him, rat, he calls himself rat, I just repeated it and then I made the statement that MBbeachDick must have already been taken, not exactly the same as "name calling" but you can go ahead and write my name on the board so when the teacher comes back in because you are obviously that type. And as far as my friend goes well hell yeah we are fist bumping and going to Chilis to celebrate the monumental victory we have conspired to achieve here on a message board, get a F**kin' life dude. Also read the posts a little closer and you will see that not "everyone disagrees" with me and by the way, I'm not the one referring to people as idiots. So whatever!!

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't see what the big deal is being asked how much the machines cost? If I'm curious about something I'll ask questions. It's not like they are asking you how much you make from your day job. To me, asking cost is a legit question. Depending on the cost of the machine it can add credibilty to the hobby. When I tell people about $1000 dollars their eyes get big. They then realize it's not a toy. When I usually add that the machine has been more than bought and paid for by finds, they are usually impressed. We're not screwing around here folks this is serious business! A hobby that pays!!!!

If you want solitude buy a kayak and paddle a few miles offshore. Noone will bother you.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overwhelmed? Hardly, name calling, I don't think so, MBbeachrat pointed out what a poor choice my forum name is since I consider my self a Treasure Hunter (which he scoffed at) and I simply said I should have chosen a name that described me as well as the 1 he chose did him, rat, he calls himself rat, I just repeated it and then I made the statement that MBbeachDick must have already been taken, not exactly the same as "name calling" but you can go ahead and write my name on the board so when the teacher comes back in because you are obviously that type. And as far as my friend goes well hell yeah we are fist bumping and going to Chilis to celebrate the monumental victory we have conspired to achieve here on a message board, get a F**kin' life dude. Also read the posts a little closer and you will see that not "everyone disagrees" with me and by the way, I'm not the one referring to people as idiots. So whatever!!
You got problems man...hope your ok...good luck, Im out.

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
OK one more reply. The reason I call myself MBbeachrat is, when I started this hobby I had only my PI. At the end of the day I would have so much trash in my pouch it wasn't funny. I was kind of like a rat. I finally got a VLF and any one who started with a PI knows what I mean. I still can't tell the difference between iron and good targets with it yet. Im out also.

Zany

Jun 28, 2012
Outerbanks, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a neighbor like this once. Was so glad when I moved :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread