Finding access to fenced DNR/BLM land

BABALONGOGGLES

Jan 10, 2020
Eastern WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a few places in Washington I'd like to take my metal detector to. However, I can't seem to find public access points. I read in a hunting thread that it's fine to cross barbed wire fencing as long as it's public land on both sides. Are you able to find a pullout on the side of the road to enter, or is this strictly forbidden. I've only looked on Google Street View, but there is a closed gate with a sign. I can't make out what the sign says though. Looks like one of those tow-away zone signs.

Additionally, is there a good map or other resource that shows exactly where the access points are?

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a few places in Washington I'd like to take my metal detector to. However, I can't seem to find public access points. I read in a hunting thread that it's fine to cross barbed wire fencing as long as it's public land on both sides. Are you able to find a pullout on the side of the road to enter, or is this strictly forbidden. I've only looked on Google Street View, but there is a closed gate with a sign. I can't make out what the sign says though. Looks like one of those tow-away zone signs.

Additionally, is there a good map or other resource that shows exactly where the access points are?
What are you metal detecting for, if you do not mind me asking?

OP
OP
B

BABALONGOGGLES

Jan 10, 2020
Eastern WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you metal detecting for, if you do not mind me asking?
I think I found a couple homesites that happen to be on DNR land, and another I believe has potential to hold some interesting relics from the late 1850s.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I found a couple homesites that happen to be on DNR land, and another I believe has potential to hold some interesting relics from the late 1850s.
That sounds interesting. I am not familiar with DNR laws about metal detecting and removal of anything which man may have used or made. I do know the laws on BLM property. Make sure you know the laws there, so you do not get in trouble. Knowing the laws and what is permitted may save you a world of trouble. Just trying to help you and save you some problems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread