What is a good pin pointer.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The garrett line is good either the original black model or the orange (carrot) I have owned both when I upgraded to the carrot I gave the black one to my brother the carrot is waterproof to ten feet that is why I upgraded.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the orange Garrett is water proof i do not think the black one is

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had two Black Garretts sold one-the other is shorting in the sheathing as they tend to do.
Minelab is useless for a PP, thought it was me, lent it out a couple of times on hunts-reply useless
Have the orange carrot Garrett-great PP no Issues
M6 Deus I use because of the Deus remote capabilities.
Vibra-Probe sitting around, is a good water probe and have used it on land as well.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had two Black Garretts sold one-the other is shorting in the sheathing as they tend to do.
Minelab is useless for a PP, thought it was me, lent it out a couple of times on hunts-reply useless
Have the orange carrot Garrett-great PP no Issues
M6 Deus I use because of the Deus remote capabilities.
Vibra-Probe sitting around, is a good water probe and have used it on land as well.
I use my 580 only... only one i will own.... have a few laying around that came with detector packages etc over the years... never use em.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Garrett Ace 400 and want a good pin pointer.
Well, I really like the Nokta Pointer...has great sensitivity and waterproof to 10 feet. Watch some videos, before you decide.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
I now have the minelab pro find. Waterproof, adjustable power and ferrous and non ferrous tones. I like a lot.
I have one of those too. I actually preferred the reaction the older black one had, its feedback seemed more responsive. There was more feedback between far away and really close to a target. Less so on this newer one.
The black one was I hear it, im getting closer, closer, bingo im right on it.
New one, I hear it, im closer, a bit closer, closer, same, same, oh right im actually on it now!
I kinda wish id kept the black one when I sold my GPX.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
And be sure to put a rubber tip over the end or you'll wear a hole in the plastic Garrett carrot case!
I have never worn thru a single pin pointer tip in ten years, including the Carrot. I have had my share of tip covers, chair leg feet, some free, and some I bought. I quit using them all years ago and I never saw any marginal thinning. You all might hunt scuffer ground, but I just doubt the need for rubber condoms on a pin pointer. I still have many of them, if anyone is near North Dallas Texas,

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never worn thru a single pin pointer tip in ten years, including the Carrot. I have had my share of tip covers, chair leg feet, some free, and some I bought. I quit using them all years ago and I never saw any marginal thinning. You all might hunt scuffer ground, but I just doubt the need for rubber condoms on a pin pointer. I still have many of them, if anyone is near
Well I did. I had to send it back to Garrett for repair. Cost me $41, so I learned my lesson.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I did. I had to send it back to Garrett for repair. Cost me $41, so I learned my lesson.
There are coil protectors/covers for good reason..., in very gritty, grainy soil/sand, plus with aggressive locating technique, wear does happen - but, to the cover....
I should show you my coil cover that has a scraping edge, worn down say, 1.2mm in one corner of the end - from digging in this volcanic soil we have here....!
Yes, use a protector for your pointer (...a condom...?!)
:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread