Finding bottle dumps?

Bizzo

Aug 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all!

I've never actually dug for bottles before, I have found a few while metal detecting and I always love finding them. Lately though I've been metal detecting an 1870s house (which is old for my area!) and I've found two broken cork top bottle tops while digging holes. I would really like to find a bottle dump and excavate it, any tips for finding one? There is at least 5 or 6 small(3x3 feet) depressions in the ground around the property, all of them are downhill from the house but none are more than 100 yards away. Should I just go dig one out? Should I invest in a probe? Make one? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

The depressions may be outhouse holes. Woth digging for a variety of items but a good place to dispose of poison bottles or other more enlightening type liquids discreetly emptied out of sight.
A probe built could squeak on glass but also confirm softer fill material.
Do some more research on excavating outhouse holes with an emphasis on a clean , orderly , and most of all safe dig.

Some bottle dumps were in a ravine or gully where feet did not travel,horses especially , but still a site where a wagon could be hauled near to dump with.

if you live in an old town look along the river or dead end street that have a woods at the end of them and just look for broken glass and metal , like old pales and stuff . most likely if you do find one some one may have already dug into it so you well see bottles laying all over the place. hay good luck.

The outhouse location(s) won't be far from the house. A probe would be very helpful. Even if you don't have the experience to feel the softer dirt, you would probably hit something abrasive while probing and that would be a good indicator that you're in a privy hole.

Thanks for the response guys. I'll probably do some research, maybe watch some videos and go digging!

It doesnt take long to digdown a few feet to see what's there! Lots of times there is slightly newer trash on top! I would just dig them it's good exercise, otherwise you will be curious! Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back