Finding Iron in the Iron

Vermonter

Aug 9, 2015
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing great here, but a funny story. So I was hunting an old cabin site where I've been many times. I looked down, and right on the chimney pile basically, I saw a late colonial flat coat button. I'd been over that same spot a half dozen times and not seen it? That's weird, but even weirder, is my machine broken? I should have detected a screaming button signal, right? I realized a second later that the target was nulling on just the tiny bit of discrimination I had set for rusty nails. I often hunt all metal, but here the nails are especially thick. I turned off the disc and wham, loud grunt. It was an iron flat button. Rusty iron in the rusty iron!

I know there are early iron buttons, but I'd never found one, not exactly looking for them. How common were they? Were they gilded? I guess I'm probably passing over them all the time. I cleaned this one up as best I could. The back looks like a typical flatty with shank. The front was pretty rusted, but it had a nice little diamond pattern fancy.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495023012.609385.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495023034.596846.jpg

Upvote 6

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have enjoyed many a hunt with the CTX and the E-Trac with their ability to null out bottle caps. Nice find.
Congratulations

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty nice

Top Member Reactions