Finding somewhere to hunt

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I?m having a hard time. I live in the Central Valley of California surrounded by farm land. There aren?t any ghost towns and such near me and I don?t have much interest in local parks hoping to find a nickel or two.

For those of you who don?t live near historical battlefields, ghost towns, or anything along those lines, how do you find a place to hunt? I can?t seem to find Sanborn maps available without a secret code or something so what resources should I consider?

Upvote 0

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Living so close to the motherlode, you should be looking for mining camps. There's a family on YouTube a couple of uncle's and their nefews who hunt mining camps, and the kill it! Finding gold and silver coins. Those guys didn't have banks, they hid and buried them.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Living so close to the motherlode, you should be looking for mining camps. There's a family on YouTube a couple of uncle's and their nefews who hunt mining camps, and the kill it! Finding gold and silver coins. Those guys didn't have banks, they hid and buried them.

I’m in the southern Central Valley but I’m intrigued by the notion. It would be a mini weekend vacation rather than a day hunt but it sounds fun. I have some books on old ghost towns not far away but do you happen to know a resource to find smaller mining camps? Also, do you happen to know the YouTube channel name you’re referencing?

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a website for you… legendsofamerica.com

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
...How about the local fair grounds and rodeo arena? Lots of people spending and getting change back. I’m just getting into this hobby and have had My best luck by the concessions and dance hall areas.
Good luck!

Oscar Goldman

May 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also look for Old Schools, Old Church locations, Campgrounds, rural train stops. Even highway rest stops. Anywhere people would gather. With the dry season, one issue you might face is how hard the dirt is to dig.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anywhere people have been can unearth a lot of new sites; ask around, see where things used to be. Check out old history books of your area; you will be surprised at what you will find out... I remember living near an area where I thought there wasn't much to be found, then did some local research and found where an old drive-in used to be, then a swimming pond (long filled in, but the old photos showed me where the people gathered), then a school that had burned down leaving nothing but a concrete slab.

When I searched those areas many old coins and other items were quickly located, a bunch in one spot, so apparently I was the first or one of the first to do that research and then search it with my metal detector.

THAT is the beauty of researching; you will find places you never knew about, and some that have never been searched!

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good suggestions, thanks everyone!

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Customx12,

They can be found on YouTube at “CA Relics Adventure with Ron Swenson and Mark Dayton. One of them is also on TNet though I don’t remember their user name. They post from time to time. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search for old names of places, then search for newspapers from those towns or camps. Give you an example: I live near Pomona and Walnut, both towns in socal. But in the 1850s to bout 1880s was a town by the name of Spadra. The only 3 things still exist from that town, spadra landfill, Spadra cemetery, and philips mansion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions