What's new

Finds From An Old California Rail Town

oldmxrat

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2020
Messages
10,911
Reaction score
47,608
Golden Thread
1
Location
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for another desert adventure in sunny SoCal today!
It was a really rough start. I didn't find anything worth keeping in the first 3 hours.
Finally, I got a sharp, deep high tone and pulled a drink token from another California ghost town.
Not long after, I spied a IHP hiding next to a bush!
Also got a nice little turquoise specimen and a really nice chrysocolla specimen.
IMG_0527.webp
IMG_0525.webp
IMG_0526.webp
IMG_0528.webp
IMG_0529.webp


Here's a tent grommet still attached to a tent stake:
IMG_0524.webp


This Colgate bottle topper has a patent date of Sept. 5th 1902 and still has the cork attached.
IMG_0530.webp
IMG_0532.webp


Really nice day to be out there, and always better to end with a keeper or two!

Today's bonus pic is an old ruin I saw passing through Searchlight NV on my way out there.
IMG_0531.webp
 
Upvote 33
It's always so cool to see a keeper just laying there waiting to be picked up.
Nice piece of turquoise you got, liking the Robin egg center.
Wonder if it came from Kingman AZ ?
 
Amazing Post..with Great Details…
I’m in the wrong part of the country where the temps are low and the snow is frozen here in NY.
Wishing you continued success out there….
 
Got out for another desert adventure in sunny SoCal today!
It was a really rough start. I didn't find anything worth keeping in the first 3 hours.
Finally, I got a sharp, deep high tone and pulled a drink token from another California ghost town.
Not long after, I spied a IHP hiding next to a bush!
Also got a nice little turquoise specimen and a really nice chrysocolla specimen.
View attachment 2236719View attachment 2236720View attachment 2236721View attachment 2236722View attachment 2236723

Here's a tent grommet still attached to a tent stake:
View attachment 2236726

This Colgate bottle topper has a patent date of Sept. 5th 1902 and still has the cork attached.
View attachment 2236727View attachment 2236728

Really nice day to be out there, and always better to end with a keeper or two!

Today's bonus pic is an old ruin I saw passing through Searchlight NV on my way out there.
View attachment 2236729
Good findings. Well done, my friend.
 
Got out for another desert adventure in sunny SoCal today!
It was a really rough start. I didn't find anything worth keeping in the first 3 hours.
Finally, I got a sharp, deep high tone and pulled a drink token from another California ghost town.
Not long after, I spied a IHP hiding next to a bush!
Also got a nice little turquoise specimen and a really nice chrysocolla specimen.
View attachment 2236719View attachment 2236720View attachment 2236721View attachment 2236722View attachment 2236723

Here's a tent grommet still attached to a tent stake:
View attachment 2236726

This Colgate bottle topper has a patent date of Sept. 5th 1902 and still has the cork attached.
View attachment 2236727View attachment 2236728

Really nice day to be out there, and always better to end with a keeper or two!

Today's bonus pic is an old ruin I saw passing through Searchlight NV on my way out there.
View attachment 2236729
Good spying the coin! 👍
 
Fantastic finds!! A great day! Thanks for sharing such prime examples of a connection to our past. Congratz!!
 
It's always so cool to see a keeper just laying there waiting to be picked up.
Nice piece of turquoise you got, liking the Robin egg center.
Wonder if it came from Kingman AZ ?
That's the third coin I've spotted on the surface at that place!
These mines in the Mojave desert produce specimens that look just like Kingman's. The place I was at was the rail center for mines all around it.
 
My family is all from Bisbee. My gpa was a pipe fitter in the mines and my gma was the school bookkeeper.
Gpa would regularly bring home chunks of Bisbee Blue turquoise as big as a golfball. He gave it all away to anybody that asked.
As kids my brother and I would hike around on the tailings and gather many fine specimens of turquoise, native copper, peacock copper, galena and calcite crystals. It was good fun!
 
Something I didn't know regarding the different types of Turquoises mined in the States.
Bisbee is certainly a missed opportunity for the mine.
Ooops, post above was response to you Pepper.
 
A harmonica reed with all the actual reeds intact! First time I've ever seen that. Nice hunt! :icon_thumright:
 
Thanks my friend! That's my third reed plate with all the reeds. The desert can be pretty forgiving as far as decay.
 
Got out for another desert adventure in sunny SoCal today!
It was a really rough start. I didn't find anything worth keeping in the first 3 hours.
Finally, I got a sharp, deep high tone and pulled a drink token from another California ghost town.
Not long after, I spied a IHP hiding next to a bush!
Also got a nice little turquoise specimen and a really nice chrysocolla specimen.
View attachment 2236719View attachment 2236720View attachment 2236721View attachment 2236722View attachment 2236723

Here's a tent grommet still attached to a tent stake:
View attachment 2236726

This Colgate bottle topper has a patent date of Sept. 5th 1902 and still has the cork attached.
View attachment 2236727View attachment 2236728

Really nice day to be out there, and always better to end with a keeper or two!

Today's bonus pic is an old ruin I saw passing through Searchlight NV on my way out there.
View attachment 2236729
I'm amazed how the desert has the ability to preserve things. The IHP and saloon token look like they were dropped yesterday. Sure looks like you had a productive hunt. Congrats.
 
Love that token !!!!!! Congrats !!
 
Got out for another desert adventure in sunny SoCal today!
It was a really rough start. I didn't find anything worth keeping in the first 3 hours.
Finally, I got a sharp, deep high tone and pulled a drink token from another California ghost town.
Not long after, I spied a IHP hiding next to a bush!
Also got a nice little turquoise specimen and a really nice chrysocolla specimen.
View attachment 2236719View attachment 2236720View attachment 2236721View attachment 2236722View attachment 2236723

Here's a tent grommet still attached to a tent stake:
View attachment 2236726

This Colgate bottle topper has a patent date of Sept. 5th 1902 and still has the cork attached.
View attachment 2236727View attachment 2236728

Really nice day to be out there, and always better to end with a keeper or two!

Today's bonus pic is an old ruin I saw passing through Searchlight NV on my way out there.
View attachment 2236729
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom