Finds from Past and Present

U.P. Northwoods

Jul 27, 2008
Nisula, MI/Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6
Well I have been gone for the whole month of Oct. as the wife and I took off and went back home to our beloved U.P. I have been quite busy taking care of my Mom and Dad. He is battling cancer and she had fallen and broken her hip while with him at a chemo treatment. But they are both doing quite well all things considered. Moms back driving and the old man was told they think they could sqeeze at least another 4 years out of him.
Anyway while up home I never got a chance to do much copper hunting. I did find one hunk that has a bit of quartz through it. About half again the size of both my hands together.
Now the other piece you will note the chisel marks on it. Thisdandy halfbreed I found when about 12 or 13 years old. I was helping my Gramps dig in a field tile at his farm in Keweenaw Bay. About a foot down along the trench I had dug a old leather bag fell out of the bank. I picked it up and the leather pretty much fell apart. But that piece of copper, a small gold nugget and a silver nugget were in it. My grandfather of course took the silver and gold and gave me the copper. Never knew what became of them. I only wish I knew the story behind it. Some explorer had to of lost it. We have a stream that runs behind the house out to the lake and only a few miles from what they called the Military Rd. which in reality was an old Indian Trail. The house is no more than 300 yds. from Lake Superior. Can only imagine they were following the lake north or so, on their journey. Some years ago I had a assistants states attorney here in Knox Co. IL offer me 2k for the half breed but I would never sell it. It's about 4"x4" by an 1" or so thick. As I said other than that one other piece in the pics that it. Well, I did get time to bowhunt and get my buck!

Attachments

• October 2008 180.jpg
    October 2008 180.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 615
  • October 2008 181.jpg
    October 2008 181.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 610
  • October 2008 182.jpg
    October 2008 182.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 600
  • October 2008 183.jpg
    October 2008 183.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 598
  • October 2008 185.jpg
    October 2008 185.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 599
  • October 2008 184.jpg
    October 2008 184.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 588
Upvote 0
OP
OP
U.P. Northwoods

U.P. Northwoods

Jul 27, 2008
Nisula, MI/Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6
Well my mother and father live in Keweenaw Bay which is about 7 miles north of Baraga and where I found the halfbreed years ago. I live just before Nisula which is about 15 miles west of Baraga.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread