Finds from the weekend. Found a button and a lead weight plus clad and junk

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't posted in awhile because I haven't had time to hunt but I did get out this weekend. I went to a few sites, two that should've produced but only one did and another site that was a gamble. The gamble: I went to a pond that used to be a quarry that mined clay for bricks around the 1860's. They dug down to about 30 feet and hit a spring and it filled up the quarry with water (hence the pond). There were trees there that where close to 4 feet wide. I found some clad and and old door knob and a metal piece for a phonograph made by Webster-Chicago corporation to fit in the center of records (I believe).
I went to another site that's been a gravel parking lot for about 100 years and only found clad and some junk ??? It was hard digging for not much reward.
I then went to a site that I've posted finds from before and got a good high conductive signal but was obviously a big target because I could wave my detector 8 inches above the ground and still get a signal but my curiosity got the better of me so I dug about 7 inches and saw what I first thought was a bar of silver because of the shape, but when I pull out I could see "Raymond Lead Company" on it. It's a five pound lead weight. Oh well, it's still cool. About twenty feet from that I got a good deep signal about 9 inches deep. I dug the signal and out popped this eagle button (according to the guys on the "what is it?" section it's circa 1875-1902 era). It had a complete shank but looked cruddy until I got it home and cleaned it up. This site has great potential, so I hope to post more in the future. Thanks for reading
HH
John

Attachments

• junk.jpg
    junk.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 284
  • lead weight.jpg
    lead weight.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 285
  • record front.jpg
    record front.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 280
  • button complete.jpg
    button complete.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 298
Hey John, good hearing from you! Mark and Mayo each got a lead bar on Sunday also at about the same time and near each other. They got the longer, narrower bars that may be used in wave solder or some other solder pot operation though.

Those buttons are sweet!

Lowbatts said:
Hey John, good hearing from you! Mark and Mayo each got a lead bar on Sunday also at about the same time and near each other. They got the longer, narrower bars that may be used in wave solder or some other solder pot operation though.

Those buttons are sweet!
Hey Tim, I saw those lead bars. They are more ornate than the one I got. Someone found an article about the "Raymond Lead Comany" from 1916. They made specialty lead sash weights and anti-radiation and x-ray blocking lead. This bar is about 5 pounds so I doubt it's a sash weight. Maybe I'd better borrow a gieger counter from someone. :happy2:
HH
John

Cool relics. I found one of those record things too, earlier this year. I had no idea what it was until the brainy folks here told me what it was!

Joe

Looks like a great spot! That's a sweet looking button also! :thumbsup:

Hey DJ! Nice finds!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lead sure does sound off nicely on the detector - a whole ingot - Wow!

That button is cooll!

Sounds like a few promising spots. I don't have the patience for prying my way through packed crushed stones. Ugh! Hard digging for sure! I wonder if the guy who hit the spring got fired...

Kimsdad said:
Hey DJ! Nice finds!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lead sure does sound off nicely on the detector - a whole ingot - Wow!

That button is cooll!

Sounds like a few promising spots. I don't have the patience for prying my way through packed crushed stones. Ugh! Hard digging for sure! I wonder if the guy who hit the spring got fired...
Yeah lead sounds sweet. The guy that hit the spring, owned the quarry. Maybe his wife fired him? :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back