Fingerprints on silver proofs

I don't know possibly a careful dip in Acetone. How did they get fingerprints? Proofs are usually sealed in plastic and are not touched in the minting process.

I found 6 silver proofs in a coin counting bag that I bought from a bank.

Attachments

• 973-bag-proofs-silver.gif
    973-bag-proofs-silver.gif
    182.2 KB · Views: 619
  • 973-bag-proofs-silver.gif
    973-bag-proofs-silver.gif
    182.2 KB · Views: 647
(I haven't tried the following, but if you do, you do so at your own risk!)

You could try some rubbing alcohol (on one). It should cut through the fingerprint oils and evaporate off, but how you get off any 'spotting' from the residue is beyond me, unless you blot it with something (non-scratching, of course) like a cotton swab.
And once you get them clean, better pop'em into plastic coin holders...!

rubbing alcohol and isopropyl have water in them. Try denatured alcohol and a cotton swab. Roll the cotton swab around, don't swirl or rub with it. Should clean the oils right off wothout harming the surface of the coin at all. Try it on another coin if you wanna be sure.

Thanks all for the tips, I will post pics and results when done.

I've been using Windex glass cleaner. I spray it on and gently wipe it off and it seems to work very well. Should I not be doing this? I just want to get the finger prints off.

Hydrantman said:
I've been using Windex glass cleaner. I spray it on and gently wipe it off and it seems to work very well. Should I not be doing this? I just want to get the finger prints off.

Anytime you wipe, you run the risk of scratches. Rolling a cotton tip swab, or even daubing (patting) is less risky.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back