Fire King Rainbow line vs Hazel Atlas; Which pitcher?

Wonderwhatif

Mar 12, 2023
I'm having trouble online, with some folks describing this Ball Jug Picture as Anchor Hocking's Fire King Rainbow line and others describing it as a Hazel Atlas piece. Anyone shed some light on this. I'm planning to sell and hate to do so without knowing the history of the object! Or at least the correct name. Thanks!

HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher3.jpg HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher4.jpg

Attachments

• HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher1.jpg
    HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher1.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 13
  • HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher2.jpg
    HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher2.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 11
  • HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher5.jpg
    HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher5.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 16
  • HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher6.jpg
    HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher6.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 12
  • HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher7.jpg
    HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher7.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 17
  • HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher8.jpg
    HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher8.jpg
    707.3 KB · Views: 16
  • HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher9.jpg
    HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher9.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 15
  • HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher10.jpg
    HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher10.jpg
    868.1 KB · Views: 11
  • HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher11.jpg
    HazelAtlas1940'sPitcher11.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 13

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I'm having trouble online, with some folks describing this Ball Jug Picture as Anchor Hocking's Fire King Rainbow line and others describing it as a Hazel Atlas piece. Anyone shed some light on this. I'm planning to sell and hate to do so without knowing the history of the object! Or at least the correct name. Thanks!

View attachment 2075588 View attachment 2075589
That’s a nice looking set. I do see your confusion. These are all over eBay, etsy, etc with different names. I’m used to seeing the anchor logo for Anchor Hocking and the H over A for Hazel Atlas. Your pictures don’t seem to show either one. It makes me wonder if a 3rd party made a series that looked the same. Hopefully you’ll get a better answer soon. Thanks for posting

OP
OP
Wonderwhatif

Wonderwhatif

Mar 12, 2023
Thank you
That’s a nice looking set. I do see your confusion. These are all over eBay, etsy, etc with different names. I’m used to seeing the anchor logo for Anchor Hocking and the H over A for Hazel Atlas. Your pictures don’t seem to show either one. It makes me wonder if a 3rd party made a series that looked the same. Hopefully you’ll get a better answer soon. Thanks for posting

Thanks, I'm hoping to sell it, but a bit nervous about the packing and shipping and getting the name wrong! I don't think there's any marking on it, but the others being sold also don't seem to have one from what I've seen. Not sure how common that is in earlier glassware. I have two-three other objects I cannot find anywhere as well, sometimes the internet just doesn't have info!

I appreciate your input ^_^

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Thank you

Thanks, I'm hoping to sell it, but a bit nervous about the packing and shipping and getting the name wrong! I don't think there's any marking on it, but the others being sold also don't seem to have one from what I've seen. Not sure how common that is in earlier glassware. I have two-three other objects I cannot find anywhere as well, sometimes the internet just doesn't have info!

I appreciate your input ^_^
On eBay they are likely to say “super rare anchor hocking set without ID mark on bottom!” Just joking, but definitely Buyer Beware on a lot of sales sites.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice set, and a classic tangerine colour.

My two cents is that although Anchor Hocking and Hazel Atlas both produced tilted ball jug sets in essentially the same style, they used different patterns. All the Hazel Atlas jugs I’ve ever seen have vertical ribbing on the body of the jug and horizontal ribbing on the neck. Anchor Hocking jugs have a smooth body with vertical ribbing on the neck. I can’t say for sure that’s 100% reliable, but I haven’t seen a marked jug which contradicts that rule of thumb.

Most, but not all, Anchor Hocking jugs are marked and I would guess that some sellers are making incorrect assumptions about who made the unmarked ones. AH also produced the same sets in thicker glass for the hotel/restaurant trade and I think these are less likely to be marked. Although the AH “Rainbow” jug sets are regarded by collectors as “Fire King”, technically they’re not. “Fire King“ was marketed as an oven-proof range and “Rainbow” was a separate line for other tableware.

OP
OP
Wonderwhatif

Wonderwhatif

Mar 12, 2023
Nice set, and a classic tangerine colour.

My two cents is that although Anchor Hocking and Hazel Atlas both produced tilted ball jug sets in essentially the same style, they used different patterns. All the Hazel Atlas jugs I’ve ever seen have vertical ribbing on the body of the jug and horizontal ribbing on the neck. Anchor Hocking jugs have a smooth body with vertical ribbing on the neck. I can’t say for sure that’s 100% reliable, but I haven’t seen a marked jug which contradicts that rule of thumb.

Most, but not all, Anchor Hocking jugs are marked and I would guess that some sellers are making incorrect assumptions about who made the unmarked ones. AH also produced the same sets in thicker glass for the hotel/restaurant trade and I think these are less likely to be marked. Although the AH “Rainbow” jug sets are regarded by collectors as “Fire King”, technically they’re not. “Fire King“ was marketed as an oven-proof range and “Rainbow” was a separate line for other tableware.
Thank you for the info!

So that would imply if they are any it would be the Anchor.

I agree that many are marked, but I did find info online that said there was a mould situation where they would use two moulds for some complex glass reason and that to avoid confusion foil stickers were used at that time (often lost), but that aside there are certainly reproductions and fakes run amuck!

I agree with you and @Blackfoot58 that Ebay and Etsy are def full of implications. In fact (as awful as it is to admit it) I plan to sell on Etsy for that reason. I won't outright lie if I have other knowledge, but I think often on Etsy it's less 'real antiquers/vintagers' and people looking for homewares or good they like.

I'll take another look at the jug/cups for any other signs as well. I don't often see them with the glasses. On Etsy I've seen some with four glasses and some with 'rainbow' glasses in other colours.

The lady I got them from seemed to underprice in general and said they were her parents (A case of cleaning out mom and dad's old place I'm sure) and I got some 'silver' from her too that she wasn't sure if was actually silver and was up front about that, so she's definitely a regular person and not in the know. So it's possible they are fakes are the real deal!

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Red-Coat.. great job once again. I always enjoy your research and explanations. Possibly AH or HA did some unmarked ones. As a side note: a company I worked for marketed desks under their own name. They also made similar units for some major retailers. They were not allowed to have any proof of who made them displayed on the product, packaging, etc. so a Sears unit never reveals the actual manufacturer. Maybe a similar thing here. ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread