FIRST $1 GOLD COIN MINTED IN USA.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I lived 7 1/2 miles from this mint I was not aware of it. Drove by his home in Rutherfordton on my way to to work. Didn't detect or treasure hunt back then. My bad! My property line was a wild creek. That could have been real interesting. Anyone out there have one of these?
Site-28-OnPaper.jpg

Quick Fact​

In 1832, Christopher Bechtler of Rutherfordton, NC, minted the country’s first $1 gold coin, 17 years before the U.S. mint. During the mid-1800s, the Bechtlers minted more than $2.24 million in gold coins.

North Carolina Gold and Christopher Bechtler’s Private Mint​

Natural-Horiz.jpg

103465.png
103466.png
103465.png
103465.png
103466.png
103466.png

number_28.png

+
Leaflet | MapPress,Map data (c) OpenStreetMap

Drawn by the gold to be found in the rivers of western North Carolina, thousands of fortune seekers kindled a North Carolina Gold Rush to the foothills of the Blue Ridge in the 1820s. Among them was the German jeweler Christopher Bechtler who bought land in Rutherford County in 1830 and began his own – not very successful – search for gold.
At the time, the only mint in the United States was in Philadelphia, and it was difficult and dangerous to transport the raw gold there. A bill was proposed to Congress by Samuel Carson, a Rutherford resident, to open a mint in Rutherfordton, but the bill never reached a vote. A year after Bechtler and his family moved to the area, gold miners urged him to create a market for raw gold by opening a private mint.
First minting coins in $5 and $2.50 denominations, in 1832, Bechtler minted the country’s first $1 gold coin, 17 years before the U.S. mint. During the mid-1800s, the Bechtlers minted more than $2.24 million in gold coins.

Visiting the Historic Bechtler Mint in Rutherfordton, NC​

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a little search on here reveals that this has been brought to everyone's attention in the past. My apologies for being repetitive. Still wish I'd known then what I know now.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about Brasher's Doubloon? He was definitely earlier.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the claim to fame must be the minting of the first one dollar gold coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread