First bank hunting experience

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I made my first CRH road trip. I stopped at my buying bank to get cash to take and they had a box waiting for me so I started the trip with $1,000 in cash. I went to 7 Banks/Credit Unions in one town. First was a small branch in a Wal-Mart, $3.50 with no keepers. Next Bank $3.00 with no keepers. Now I started hearing some bad news with the 3rd bank. The teller said they had about $600 in halves and I told her I'd take them all. She checked the machine and there were only $161.50 and told me the lady that comes in a buys all their halves must have been in yesterday :o, not what I wanted to hear. I saw 1 silver as she recounted the halves. Next 3 stops were 1 bank and 2 credit unions that had no halves. The next bank had a $500 bag they could sell me ;D . I asked if they had many people ask for halves or drop-off a lot of halves. She said normally not but just yesterday 2 guys came in and bought halves, more bad news. She was nice enough to let me know they could order halves for me even if I didn't have an account as long as I paid for them in cash. The last bank the teller said she had only 2 halves, I saw one silver when she picked them up. She looked at them and said one of them was from her birth year and she would have bought it if she had seen it sooner, lucky for me she was born in 1964. I asked if they had any stashed in the back and another teller grabbed a bag and asked how many I was looking for. I told here I'd take as many as she had but she said I could only have $50 without having an account there. The bag definitely had a bunch more rolls in it. So I took the $50 and info on opening an account. I found a 67 and a 68-D in the 5 rolls. Is it worth opening an account to get the rest?

I'll post the results of the rest when I get through them. I really didn't want to hear about other people buying halves, but that s the way it goes.

Upvote 0
Fropa said:
I really didn't want to hear about other people buying halves, but that s the way it goes.
You really do want to hear about others hunting, couple reason it lets you know where your competition is and they might be sloppy hunters :) and might return the goodies by accident ( have found a local guy here that has turned in 3 rolls of silvers, all for me :) )
so it is alright to know we are not alone.
Keep up the searching, some days are awesome and some are just plain ol fun.
Best Regards, Ray

"She was nice enough to let me know they could order halves for me even if I didn't have an account as long as I paid for them in cash"

The words we love to hear, if you get hooked on roll hunting you will be back to see her :)

Thanks Ray. Thats great finding the 3 rolls of silver, I hope I'm that lucky someday.

prizm II, it is nice to have found another source. All the tellers today were very nice.

I've been through the $225 of loose halves and found 2 64, 1 67, and 1 68-D. Now the $500 box and $500 bag.

Thanks scotto. I've been through the the $500 box now ($725 total) and a fairly poor silver amount with 2 64s, 2 67s, and 1 68-D. I did find a few interesting halves

This one is gold plated and counter stamped 1960-1980
Gold_Half.jpg

This one a guy named Jim claimed
Writing_Half.jpg

I found 1 Proof in not-so-great condition
1988S_Proof.jpg

And here is the silver so far
Silver.jpg

$500 to go but no silver showing on the ends.

Keep plugging Fropa.....you will hit a day where it rains silver!!! as for opening accounts at other banks....personally I think it is a good idea. I have opened accounts at 3 other banks other than my main bank just to have more options on buying and dumping. Prior to opening these other accounts I got stuck in a small town with no place to dump so I was kinda stuck.....now I don't have that problem....just my 2 cents.

Good luck & let us know how you do.

Thanks lejeuene. With finds like your last one it sounds like all the silver is flowing South and no much is let up here in the North ;) . There are 3 major banks in this area so I may open a basic savings at each and that way I should have a bank I can go to if I need to get more money on a trip.

I went to a small town with 3 banks today and got a whopping $2.50 worth of halves (No keepers). One bank had some but said they could not take any out of the counting machine until the bag was full. I think she just didn't want to take the time to help me. I may go back Monday with a bunch of halves and ask how many she needs to top-off the bag ;D .

I got one of those signed halves last week. I recognize the writing and it had something to do with Jim. 8)

cyberdan, that Jim guy must get around. Interesting that we both found one within a week of each other.

MalteaseFalcon, the picture does make it look like it's silver, but in hand it's your basic clad 72-D.

Back in August I got a "Jimmy" Ike dollar. He really gets around!

I finally finished the $500 bag. With all the great finds others are making it feels like a bad hall unless you find a roll of Walkers and a couple rolls of Franklins, but here are the stats of my first bank road trip.

Total halves found - $1,221.50

1964 - 2
1965 - 1
1966 - 2
1967 - 4
1968-D - 2
2002-P - 1
2002-D - 1
2004-D - 1

Proofs - 2 (1981-S and 1988-S)

1 Gold Plated and Counter Stamped

I released the Jim half back into the wild.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back