Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First Coin Dug In 1940's Yard Was A Pleasant Surprise

Hi all,

I had a day off today and received permission to hunt a yard in an older area of town..the temperature was 38 degrees this morning and a snow squall went through our area, allowing it to snow pretty good for about an hour (I mowed my yard twice already, my Dogwood tree is in bloom, and now it's snowing ???) Since the ground was warm and I couldn't wait, I covered my Prizm keypad with a plastic sandwich bag, put on a fleece hoody and a quilted flannel shirt, and headed out.

When I got to my destination, I did a quick scan of the front yard but wasn't having any luck at all, so I headed to the side gate that led to the back yard. I was pleased to see a good sized area, so I gave it a go.

The very first signal came within the first 5 minutes, and read a solid 50-cent signal. I hadn't had one of those in a while, so I thought to myself, "Dig a nice wide hole, you don't want to scratch it if it's what I think it is.." After digging out 2 scoops of earth I saw a BLAZING shiney BIG coin in the muddy clod, and for a second I didn't know what it was. Finally I saw the figure of Lady Liberty in all her big silver glory :o and I became totally oblivious to the cold, the wind, the snow and whatever! It was beautiful and spotless, and became the 3rd Walker half I've ever found :thumbsup: I searched very carefully all around that area (pretty far from the house) but there was no other coin in the vicinity.

I checked some more and the very next dig was a wheat penny. Now I was REALLY having fun, and hopeful I would probably find more silver. After diggin up 18 pennies (11 were wheats) I came across a faint signal on the other side of the yard that turned out to be a deep '54 Rosie :thumbsup: I was sure I'd find a Merc but never did. After pounding the yard until I was tired and cold (my socks and shoes were wet and my toes were getting numb) I re-checked the front yard, but only came up with a modern penny, nickel and quarter. I also found a really old bullet and a watch clasp.

The snow eventually came to an end and the sun peeked out, but then went back into the clouds as the wind picked up and the front finally blew through..I decided to leave before I got too much colder.

It was a fun hunt even though my moment of elation came early..I may go back again and try checking the yard once more with my deeper coil.

D1.jpg

D2.jpg

D3.jpg

D4.jpg

Hope you all find a little treasure this week!
Nat

Upvote 0
Re: First Coin Dug In 1940's Yard Was A Pleasant Surprise

She's a beauty, Nat! Congrats! :thumbsup:

HH

Nat, your silver sure cleaned up nice!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Congrats on your 3rd Walker. It's a very exciting coin to find in your plug!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

nice walker....Matt

Thanks to all who've chimed in :thumbsup:

nebstater said:
Looks like you had a steller day there Nat. :thumbsup:

Here's a little sun to warm you up. :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:

Thanks nebstater! My toes aren't numb anymore :D

UPDATE: I went by the yard once more today for about an hour with my deeper coil...after a slow, careful search, I only came up with 3 pennies - a 1959 Memorial and 2 wheats, both from the 1940's.

Nat

Natman said:
Thanks to all who've chimed in :thumbsup:

nebstater said:
Looks like you had a steller day there Nat. :thumbsup:

Here's a little sun to warm you up. :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:

Thanks nebstater! My toes aren't numb anymore :D

UPDATE: I went by the yard once more today for about an hour with my deeper coil...after a slow, careful search, I only came up with 3 pennies - a 1959 Memorial and 2 wheats, both from the 1940's.

Nat

Wheats are always nice too.

Wow! Cool finds. Those halfs are fun to find.

HH,

Dr. Ace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back