First coin spill, toy car graveyard, and my first silver!

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I got a chance to go out with my son this morning to my sister-in-laws home for a quick hunt. I've only had my Ace 250 for a month and her place was high on my list of places to hit. The house was built in the 1930's but she just moved in a few months ago. I only had two hours so I had to work quickly. I started in the back yard. As soon as I turned on the machine and set it to the ground I got a coin signal, a penny. A couple of feet away I got more coin signals and dug up a quarter and two pennies - my first coin spill! I'm thinking this might my lucky day!

As I worked around a large oak tree my machine went crazy, huge signals all over the place. I dug the hole and find a Hot Wheels car and my pinpointer was still going nuts. I dug a little bit more and got another toy car. After all of the digging I found 5 cars total. My 6-year old was loving it!

I was running out of time so I decided to cut it short and run the length of the old clothesline (a good tip from reading the forum!). I found what looks an old metal clothespin and it's alsowhere I found my first silver, a 1943D Merc! It was only 2" down but I could tell it was special as soon as I saw it. It had a bright silver color as opposed to all of the crusty clad I have dug up until today. I followed another valuable tip from the forum so I didn't brush any of the dirt off until I got home. A nice easy water rinse and light dab with the toothbrush was all it took to make it shine!

I am officially hooked now! I can't wait to go back out and find some more! I only covered about 1/3 of the back yard so I still have a lot of ground to cover at her home. Maybe I'll find some more silver there!

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!

thebirdflu

007.JPG
006.JPG
005.JPG

Upvote 7

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
And that, My Friend, is how the obsession starts. You have a great start.
Looking forward to more finds down the road.

wkrp43

May 24, 2013
western NC
Detector(s) used
F2...BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also had my first silver today, and five hot wheels....! What a co inky dink....fixing to post....congratulations!

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Congrats on all the firsts... Pocket Spill, Hot Wheels Spill, and SILVER!

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats and thanks for sharing

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the Merc!!

Hot Wheels graveyards are common, I don't know why but it seems that all young boys at one time or another enjoy burying their Hot Wheels and other toy cars, I know my son buried many of his, I'm glad he didn't bury them all, he had well over 2000 Hot Wheels, I would still be digging them up, when he got older and no longer played with them I came home to find out my wife took them all and gave them to a thrift store, I know there were many rare collectible cars among the collection, I couldn't believe she gave them away, even the common ones we paid at least $1 or $2 for when new, the collectible ones would now be worth a tidy sum!!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver. Gotta love that! :thumbsup:

Chuxter

Jul 29, 2013
Congrats on the firsts, and nice Merc! This is my first year huntin', I get the adrenaline rush seein' the unmistakable look of silver in the hole. Like I tell my wife, I could be addicted to much worse things! Happy Hunting - Chuck from Iowa.

wayne91101

Jan 26, 2013
Vesta Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO with 8.5X11" COIL AND COVER,Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Garrett PRO Pointer,Lesche digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats of your first hunt and might I say it was a great one!!! Like it was said before AND THAT IS HOW IT ALL STARTS.. Now you need to get out there and see why we love this obsession so much. Again congrats and Happy Hunting!!!!!!

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the first silver and the cars a plus! I also love digging up cars!I got 18 so far,but never hit a car graveyard!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread