First colonial belt buckle and some more

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3rd time to the 1700s farm site. I poked around the outer edges of where I was hitting pretty hard. Found a couple of neat things, old and newer age.

The belt buckle is what seems to be from the colonial period which matches the coins I've been finding there. I also found a chain that was rusted together but I managed to break it loose. A shot musket was also found some distance away from the "hot zone."

I did find a couple of newer aged things. the horseshoe I have no idea how old it is, but it has the spikes and everything in it which seemed cool. The Deering wrench is awesome and through my research, most likely 1840s - early 1900s. I believe the other item is a Swiss Army Knife. The last one is different... is it just a latch? Pretty cool finds... wish I had the Nel Tornado or Thunder to help with the deeper targets.
Cheers everyone! 41621buckle.jpg 41621musket.jpg 41621swissarmy.jpg 41621chain.jpg 41621chain2.jpg 41621wrench.jpg
Cheers!

Upvote 12

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations ...on your recoveries at the 1700’s site..I am confident there is plenty more waiting for you.
Also good job on your research locating that site,,well done...

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!! Congrats!!!! Cool Wrench!!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice buckle and probably dates to the early 1700s. It is definitely a strap buckle of some sort, but I don't know that it is a "belt" buckle.

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice buckle and probably dates to the early 1700s. It is definitely a strap buckle of some sort, but I don't know that it is a "belt" buckle.

Yes, some sort of strap buckle.. When originally writing this, the only two words that came to mind were "shoe" and "belt" haha

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. Those are referred to as "Spectacle" buckle (because of the shape, not the usage).

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spec buckles slightly smaller than that were on the leather boot, the more you had up the side (5 lets say), the more money you had, although that was in the 1500-1600s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread