First day in the water

FloridaMike

Apr 8, 2014
North Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster 6000/D, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Today was my first day using an Excalibur in the water.
Still learning how to use it but found some things.

Finds 5-8-14 -1.jpg

Highly mineralized coins, a SS cotter pin, a toe ring, my first ring and I'm pretty sure it's silver.
It's hard to tell which of the coins are pennies and which are dimes.

One of the coins is a 1996 Quarter and it has a groove all the way around the edge.

Quarter with groove IMG_0196.jpg

I figure something in the water dissolved it as it was quite crusted up and looked like it was there a long time.
If anyone can confirm this please pipe up.

I can't wait to go back and see what else I can find.

Mike

Upvote 2

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad US coins are nickle/copper alloy over copper core. Obviously the pure copper core corroded away while the high nickle content of the cladding was more resistant to the salt or mineralization.

Last edited:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, that wasn't natural.

Someone took that coin to a metal lathe or similar device and created a groove, which would allow it to be attached to fishing line and used to get free things from vending machines (or free rides/games).

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AND YES - NATURE DOES IT - iM A SALT WATER HUNTER - GET THOSE ALL THE TIME - GOT PROBABLY 1000 AT LEAST -
ITS A GOOD SIGN BECAUSE IT MEANS ITS BEEN THERE AWHILE - I'D SAY OVER A YEAR
ITS BAD CAUSE YOU CANT USE THEM - SOME BANKS YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO TURN THEM IN WHEN YOU GET ENOUGH AND YOU FIND THE RIGHT BANK

No, that wasn't natural.

Someone took that coin to a metal lathe or similar device and created a groove, which would allow it to be attached to fishing line and used to get free things from vending machines (or free rides/games).

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats neat how that groove got formed

OP
OP
F

FloridaMike

Apr 8, 2014
North Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster 6000/D, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
AND YES - NATURE DOES IT - iM A SALT WATER HUNTER - GET THOSE ALL THE TIME - GOT PROBABLY 1000 AT LEAST -
ITS A GOOD SIGN BECAUSE IT MEANS ITS BEEN THERE AWHILE - I'D SAY OVER A YEAR
ITS BAD CAUSE YOU CANT USE THEM - SOME BANKS YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO TURN THEM IN WHEN YOU GET ENOUGH AND YOU FIND THE RIGHT BANK

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that this was what happened as this means the location has not been searched in quite a while, if ever.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see how the salt water could do that to the copper - As far as banks taking them many banks (if not most ) will not take
"mutilated" or damaged coins - they instead will direct you to a Dept. of the Treasury address where you are supposed to send
them for exchange I guess (at your expense of course )

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see how the salt water could do that to the copper - As far as banks taking them many banks (if not most ) will not take
"mutilated" or damaged coins - they instead will direct you to a Dept. of the Treasury address where you are supposed to send
them for exchange I guess (at your expense of course )

I have found a lot of paper money while water hunting - I always wear a mask - and my bank will take the half decayed bills
but not the coins --but a few guys on the water forum have been able to turn in their coins to there banks --but it has to be like $100 minimum
I think

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Yup, the corroded quarter was partly dissolved by the ocean water. Because the clad and core are different compositions, the two alloys together act like a battery in salt water. I've got a box full from out here on the West coast. I'm thinking it takes 5-10 years to get that way. I don't find etching that deep on coins with more recent dates.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread