First dig on Friday produces my first silver!!!

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Took Friday off for poops and chuckles and figured since I was home and the kids were in school, I'd get a little MD'ing time in. ME and the Mrs. went out that morning and it looked threatening but when we got home she did her hobby and I did mine.
I have been wanting to just take a walk down my street staying near the grass/street border and search. My street has been here for over 100 years so I knew there had to be something. Left my driveway and got into the grass and started swinging. The first beep outta the machine I dig up and out pops a 1941-D mercury dime. You guys were right about silver just comes outta the dirt like it was dropped there today....hardly any cleaning, just a run under the tap water. This was my first silver coin find!. Had to go home and show the wife (which was a long trek of about 15 feet. You believe that!! 15 feet away from my driveway and here is a mercury dime!
Anyhoo, after calming down a little I continued my trek down the street. Brought a plastic bag with me for the infamous pulltabs and crushed cans. By the time I was done (2 hours later and only 3/4 way down the block) That bag was getting full. Another peculiar thing I found was a round disk that had a star shape in the center of it. Heavy amount of dirt on it so I did not know what it was until I got home and cleaned it up a bit. Turns out it was a lucky coin form the 1960's I think. It was one people would get at carnivals and stuff that you ca pick a lucky coin design and get a message stamped on it. This particular one had "Bob Titsworth RD4 Middletown, NY stamped on it. The company that produced them was Harvard Aut. Mach. Co. Jamestown, NY.
Well after all was said and done, the items I kept were the merc dime, the lucky coin, a spoon, parts of a Bulova watch, 5 dimes and 3 pennies (all clad). The detecting gods were with me that day cause the rain held out for me. Now I just have to finish that side of the street and come back up the other side.

Funkman

BTW, just ordered an Ace 250 on Buy.com for $199. Can't wait for it to show up. Currently using a Radio Shack/Bounty Hunter 2200. That one will be the spare/kids machine when the Ace shows up.

Attachments

• mercdime&luckycoinfront.jpg
    mercdime&luckycoinfront.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 399
  • mercdime&luckycoinback.jpg
    mercdime&luckycoinback.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 395
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Those are some really nice finds. How great that you get to detect right in your own neighborhood! Think of all the stuff you will find when the new detector comes in!

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Great finds! Congrats on your first coin/silver. LOL

The patent number on your lucky token was issued in 1923, so it is probably older than you thought.

J

jamesfrompa

Nice mercury dime! I know how exiciting it is to get your first silver. My first silver was last week and it too was a mercury dime. Keep digging and more should show up!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Congrats on your first silver Funkman!
Sounds like there are some goodies awaiting you there close to home,
go get them! Good luck.

Smiles!
BDoo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread