What's new

First Dug Gold Coin

rick67

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2014
Messages
1,624
Reaction score
1,736
Golden Thread
0
Location
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to a swampy home site a found a month ago. 30mph winds 31°.
It's in a hollow protected from the wind so I figured I'd give it a shot.
The first 1/2" was frozen, beneath was the same sticky tarlike mud I was hoping was starting dry but "Nada".
Had two hours and found a few things. I thought I had three Indian Heads and a Big Copper until I cleaned the mud off. IMAG0563.webp
IMAG0560.webp
IMAG0565.webp
Any thoughts? 17.96 mm, 59-60 vdi on AT Pro, 1.31 gram.:icon_scratch:

Any thoughts on the Big Copper? 28.45mm
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0566.webp
    IMAG0566.webp
    740.2 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Upvote 6
Diameter of the copper is consistent with a Classic or Matron Head large, but its too fried to tell. Congrats!
 
Where's the gold coin?
 
maybe it's a KG1? Or maybe some Canadian bank token.
 
I don't see any gold coins, just a severely corroded Indian head penny
 
The copper is a later date King George the III
 
Where is the gold? Is this a sick way of getting folks to look at you corroded coin?
 
Maybe he meant old coin
 
Oh yeah, not classic or matron, I see the head now. Kg3 maybe?
 
59 - 60 on the AT PRO could be gold. It can also be nickel or Copper / Nickel as can be found in 1860 - 1864 IHP'S.
 
Last edited:
But the pictures show it is no way gold. And for its size if it was Shiney non corroded gold would ring in lower
 
I see it possibly being a kg3 now that its been mentioned
 
Last edited:
Came here looking for gold... Left disappointed... Woe is me on this 14th day of January!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom