First evening hunt of the year πŸ˜† xx

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
So its now light and nice enough to get a couple of hours in in the evenings πŸ˜† xx

Lots of lead scattered about but in amongst it.. big old nail about 2.5 inches across the head, musket balls, neatly folded lead, button and a Cartwheel penny (1797) and a 1905 penny!

And another gorgeous view across the vale in the evening sunshine! xx
IMG_6940.jpeg
IMG_6942.jpeg
IMG_6943.jpeg
IMG_6941.jpeg
IMG_6937.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 29

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's one big nail! Even a blind pirate could hit that head.
Great to see you back on the evening hunts again.
Good to see you got your 6 pack of balls for the hunt day.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So its now light and nice enough to get a couple of hours in in the evenings πŸ˜† xx

Lots of lead scattered about but in amongst it.. big old nail about 2.5 inches across the head, musket balls, neatly folded lead, button and a Carwheel penny (1797) and a 1905 penny!

And another gorgeous view across the vale in the evening sunshine! xx View attachment 2085221 View attachment 2085222 View attachment 2085223 View attachment 2085224 View attachment 2085225
Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats!

IF the hole in the lower center pictured ball shows it was deliberate ,for pulling it out of a barrel, it hints of time spent there with arms. IF pulling a ball you'd want back up , or a secure site if during wartime or unrest ect.. The ball has just enough upset that I strain to try to see fabric imprinted on it from having been patched linin loaded and then pulled. I'll blame that on the vale picture sparking my imagination and not my usual too much imagination....

While on the imagination trail and sparks....
Leather can smolder. Probably not if you want it to though.
Your recovered lead strip deliberately folded for compactness , among it's many uses could substitute for the leather around 30 seconds into this video mentioning English flint. (You finding any worn discarded flints?)
Mentioned too , a roundball could be pounded into a flat to pad a flint.
Maybe amidst all the lead you encounter , at a guardsite/vantage point with other relics associated with arms and time spent with them a flattened ball will turn up.
(A used one for flint jaws may have already between you two.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
blossom

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Congrats!

IF the hole in the lower center pictured ball shows it was deliberate ,for pulling it out of a barrel, it hints of time spent there with arms. IF pulling a ball you'd want back up , or a secure site if during wartime or unrest ect.. The ball has just enough upset that I strain to try to see fabric imprinted on it from having been patched linin loaded and then pulled. I'll blame that on the vale picture sparking my imagination and not my usual too much imagination....

While on the imagination trail and sparks....
Leather can smolder. Probably not if you want it to though.
Your recovered lead strip deliberately folded for compactness , among it's many uses could substitute for the leather around 30 seconds into this video mentioning English flint. (You finding any worn discarded flints?)
Mentioned too , a roundball could be pounded into a flat to pad a flint.
Maybe amidst all the lead you encounter , at a guardsite/vantage point with other relics associated with arms and time spent with them a flattened ball will turn up.
(A used one for flint jaws may have already between you two.)

Thanks RC! Thats brilliant… here is a couple of close up of said hole… πŸ€” xx honestly love finding folded lead! Haven’t found any flints… but we know there was lots of civil war action round these parts! xx

IMG_6946.jpeg
IMG_6945.jpeg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks RC! Thats brilliant… here is a couple of close up of said hole… πŸ€” xx honestly love finding folded lead! Haven’t found any flints… but we know there was lots of civil war action round these parts! xx

View attachment 2085237 View attachment 2085238

O.K.. I'm more awake and added the missing video to my earlier post.
Sigh...
The roundball in question looks like it has just a void up close. Maybe sprue area (gate of sorts) wasn't overfilled to chase air out enough. And wrinkles from mold not being hot enough yet. Or impurities causing conflict. Or a crude mold.
A serviceable projectile though.
Or a remelt canidate for the picky.

Pulled projectiles can shown a small heap/rise of material around the pullers screw hole.
Could be rolled after to reduce and look like a well trimmed sprue. Or simply loaded straight upward in the guns bore. Or straight down. (Downward harder to see to load though.)
A thrifty holder would value a pulled projectiles lead.
Others would simply discard it / them.
A oiled /lubed sample (s) could be stored in the /a mold that made it too. For varied reasons.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lots of lead scattered about but in amongst it.. big old nail about 2.5 inches across the head, musket balls, neatly folded lead, button and a Cartwheel penny (1797) and a 1905 penny!

And another gorgeous view across the vale in the evening sunshine! xx View attachment 2085221 View attachment 2085222 View attachment 2085223 View attachment 2085224 View attachment 2085225
That may be the first nail ever posted on Tnet with that size head...I can almost smell the countryside there...and even hear doves in the distance from your photos...

Lots of lead bits is a good sign...and congratulations on your recoveries!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blossom your posts are always so nice with GREAT PICTURES !!! Thanks !!!

OP
OP
blossom

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
The Roman nails are very interesting, but I suppose all of the Roman material culture is. A lot of neat finds are possible whenever those are about.

Say, when is CRUSADER going to take you on a hunt? You are TreasureNet brethren after all.
Thank you!!! Ha, poor crusader would be so bombarded with our questions he would be running for the hills within minutes πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ xx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions