Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first land hunt since Spring - thought it was going to be a waste of time because friends had been there last week when I was out
finding gold in the water
My land hunting partner found a fatty IH and a few musketballs last week and said there were foot prints all over
we got torrential rains since then and it flattened things out making it easy to swing
I was getting small lead and brass pieces here and there - took over a half hour before I got my first "keeper"
which was the pewter swirl button which is probably early 1700s - then I started getting musketballs
my partner got a bowl from an old rat tail baby spoon - a tiny old buckle, a few small old buttons and a few musketballs
I got a odd reading - actually sounded like a small piece of can (which there is plenty of here) - dug about 6 ins. of dirt out and saw small disc
thought I had Spanish 1/2 reale but it looked smaller - it was really tarnished - could see outline of head and did not look like George
just put it in my pouch. It turned out to be a Canadian 5c "fish scale" silver. I found one in the ocean earlier this year - looks like 1883
Friend waved to me he wanted to take a break. so we start walking back to vehicles - he stabs a potatoe lying on top and flings it towards me
as we walk in a straight line back. He stabs another and flings it and hits me in the temple - almost got me in the eye - I hold my head and wobble
like Im goin to pass out - he could not believe he hit me - and runs over apologizing - I should have just fell down to scare him - instead as he got close
I faked like I was going to stab him and scared him ...Soooo we continued and he says "you got to find a good coin cause I did that"
about 10 yrds more and I get a blast - 88 on XLT - he comes over to check - I think its to good to be good cause this place had foot prints
all around plus this place has been hit by about 50 guys over last 25 yrs - stick my knife in and pop up some dirt and target is in small clump
partner says -"gotta be a coin" saw edge of copper disc - turned out to be 1798 LC ...he couldn't believe others had missed it
we head out and take a break - I told him I had gotten the most targets in area where I got the small silver...so when we head back he said he would head back to that area
with me. I got a huge ball and he got a couple of what we call "indian balls" they are shaped like lead barrels - usually from 1600s early 1700s
then I see him dig a target and examing it a lot - so it means he got something good or unusual. He yells to me "I think I got a tree coin"
I say "really?" cause weve been known to both mess with the other in the past - he says its small thin silver coin folded in half and he sees small beading
it is very brittle and he could only unfold a little but he thinks he sees 2 roman IIs and thinks its a 2 pence ...he would check it out later and find a third "I"
making it a 3 pence - still not sure of the tree cause its worn but hey its a tree coin!
- he had found one like 30 yrs ago on a grass median about 100 yrds away in front of some 1700s houses and it was really worn
Im still waiting for one - Ive hunted no less than like 6 fields where ones have been found
So we continue hunting = I go back where I was trying to grid - I get another small faint target - dig down and check with pinpointer and get small bent silver coin
bout 20 yrds from where I got the fish scale and think I have another - wet it with spit and see seated liberty - Ive got a half dime - but its a shame cause its cracked
from bend being hit from plow - you know the odds the plow hitting a coin that small - and it looks like it may have been VF condition
its 1858 - crack is right thru where mint mark might be - so cant tell if there is one - got a IH 1883 too
not a bad day though - just wish the coins had come out a little better
will get pics of my friends stuff later on this week - heres my keepers
most of the veterans know but for those that don't - you never know what each turn over is gonna give - we"ve come here in the past and found almost nothing
and have said "think we finally cleaned it out" only to stop by a year later and do alright

Upvote 3
OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
112casp.JPG casp112.JPG
casp112hlf.JPG caspfsh.JPG

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt Casper! Liking the silvers and the coppers. Lots of targets from a hard hit site, I know I get a little pleasure digging a good target from a footprint for some reason. :)
Will check on the posting of your friends coin, sounds interesting.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my friend also found cool relic - he found a pair of brass map spanners that could be from 1600s - 1700s
when I hook up with him I will get pic of them also

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! That looks like an awesome hunt to me!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wish I had been there,around here a wheat cent is considered ancient !!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I was really impressed with your water finds, now you go out and find a ton of killer stuff in the field. WOW. Your coins are really nice. Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was really impressed with your water finds, now you go out and find a ton of killer stuff in the field. WOW. Your coins are really nice. Best of luck to you!

I don't find the really awesome or rare stuff like the other guys - but if I get out = which like many of us is the problem -
I usually do ok or find at least one good item
I hunted land for my first 25 yrs - then it became 90% land 10% water
mostly last 15 yrs its been 99% water - but I try and get out in spring when they turn fields and after harvest at least a few times
to farm fields

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions