Status
Not open for further replies.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All manufacturers put out beta models for testing and reviews, I have personally seen and tested beta models by several including Minelab, Fisher, Coiktec....

OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
MDG, where on here were you called racist? If it didn't here on TreasureNet please keep it off TN.

Didn't happen here but it was from a member / rep involved here. Sorry I will not mention the hate mail I receive anymore.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beta testing is different than reviewing. Beta tests actually look for problems. And all correspondence is between the company and tester. When a non profit review is performed, all stops are pulled. Even Consumer Reports buy their products for review like the general public does. There is a difference between a tester (like Underwriter Laboratories) and a reviewer (like Consumer Union) even though both are used for products.

If a product was sent from the company free of charge, I would assume it to fall into the former of the two. Tester.
If a product was purchased, it's no different than a customer purchase, and a review, no matter how good or bad, is justified.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a company sends a product to a Youtube personality that in the past has given reviews of products as-is....it would seem painfully obvious the outcome if a dud beta unit was sent.

I just cannot subscribe to any logic saying MDG is wrong for ripping the Quest that was given him.

If I had a new product I was selling....and then decided to ship said product to a Youtube reviewer....I'd make damn sure it worked 100%.

Deteknix is to blame here...not MDG.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro really must have you spun for a loop.

Not really. There's hardware and software. The Tesoro Cazador and Fisher Mosca are vaporware. If I don't see at least a prototype, it doesn't exist.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beta testing is the last stage of testing, and normally can involve sending the product to beta test sites outside the company for real-world exposure or offering the product (if it applies) for a free trial download over the Internet. Beta testing is often preceded by a round of testing called alpha testing. In this case the alpha testing seemed like it was at a pre school level at time of release. No wonder they went back to beta testing after the initial MDG attempt at a normal release. The above mentioned Minelab, Fisher, Coiktec, I am sure told the individuals doing the test that it was a beta version up front.

Last edited:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He could of told the Manufacturer what to fix and then if they said "No" post it on Youtube LOL. Thats what I would of done before trying to take a Company down.

If a company sends a product to a Youtube personality that in the past has given reviews of products as-is....it would seem painfully obvious the outcome if a dud beta unit was sent.

I just cannot subscribe to any logic saying MDG is wrong for ripping the Quest that was given him.

If I had a new product I was selling....and then decided to ship said product to a Youtube reviewer....I'd make damn sure it worked 100%.

Deteknix is to blame here...not MDG.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He could of told the Manufacturer what to fix and then if they said "No" post it on Youtube LOL. Thats what I would of done before trying to take a Company down.

If you had followed the utube exchange you could have very well seen where the problems were sent in and no response was given. MDG rules on this matter.

OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro

I did tell Deteknix of the issues before hand and they did not seem to care. They were expecting me to show only the good stuff. I told them there are things I just can not cover up. Like the bubble. They did not care about my thoughts to say the least so therefore Youtube got it. I lost money working on the video when I could have been working on something else for a paying client (I don't just do detecting videos). I gave Deteknix every chance before and after to correct their problem and they did me like TNet, put me on the ignore list and sent their minions after me.

I did not take the company down and that was not my original intentions, however with that being said I feel I greatly helped them by making sure they fix the issues I brought to their attention personally and publicly. Had I not they might never of fixed the issues and a lot of detectorists such as you and I would of lost a lot of money purchasing malfunctioning machines. If I get a working coil that I can review correctly then maybe I will redo the video and take my original ones down, but I do not see them sending me a working coil and to be honest I don't think I want to help promote them after what I went through for being honest.

Professional Customer Service goes a long way.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you have followed the drama since day one...you would know that is exactly how it played out.

MDG showed the issues to Deteknix (Jason).....before the Youtube video was ever up.....
Deteknix (Jason) tells MDG he is full of crap....
MDG posts video on Youtube...even briefly taking it down...as he felt badly about it....

It was after we (the community) told MDG that he did absolutely nothing wrong...to place the video back up on Youtube...that he did so.

So if anybody is to blame it is us (the community) that told him to place it back up and keep on trucking. Hell....blame me personally, I was pretty vocal in his defense. I'll take all his threats and whatever just to give the guy a damn break.

He did not try to take a company down...he has given rave reviews of their Diamond Digger...seems to me he would trash that as well if he had it in for Deteknix as a company. Logic and all....

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to re-hash there...did not see MDG's post until I posted....

OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Sorry to re-hash there...did not see MDG's post until I posted....

Thanks GT...Unfortunately as much as I do like the Digger I now refuse to use it due to the drama. I might one day in the future but just looking at it make me cringe. So I went back to my lesche.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right out of the box, the bubble on the screen told us there were issues. If Deteknix knew this like we did, they should have stopped the beta test immediately. Moisture could be the culprit in a sealed machine and can't be good for the electronics. If I had been the designer of the Quest, I wouldn't want anyone to see the bubble, working or not.

The first time the machine was smacked, the beta test ended. Testers shouldn't have to smack a machine to kick start it, as customers wouldn't want to do it either. Testers aren't there to "fix" the problems, just to make them known. If Deteknix tried to blame MDG for the bubble, we can see that they are wrong from the video. We also can see an unstable unit. Without continuous video from opening to testing, we don't know if the machine was submerged in water, or whatever, before the test we are viewing on youtube. So the "he said, she said" applies here.

Because Deteknix has failed to communicate for many questions from TNet members on the "contest decision" and other valid questions on the Quest, I am inclined to believe that the communications between MDG from Deteknix were skewed as well. Teng Jason seems to have difficulty with the English language in the youtube exchange. Without a clearer communication between Chinese and English, sometimes a conversation can take on it's own direction through lack of proper translation.

The milk has been spilt. Time to clean it up and move on.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phantasman;4855271 The milk has been spilt. Time to clean it up and move on.[/QUOTE said:
Unfortunately, Teng chose to pick up the carton and begin throwing it at MDG like a 2 year old in a tantrum.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately, Teng chose to pick up the carton and begin throwing it at MDG like a 2 year old in a tantrum.

After watching a video where his detector was being beaten on. Teng said he sent it to him "free". This is a beta test between MDG and Deteknix and should not have reached the public, IMO. When you beta test software for games (which I have done) you don't tell the public the problems. That is what beta testing is. Looking for issues before it hits the sales floor.

Teng Jason asks MDG why he hit the machine for the "review". There's the problem. MDG "REVIEWED" it rather than "BETA TESTING" it. Communications. If it was sent free, MDG should have known it was a Beta Test though. But maybe Teng Jason asked him to review it. Who knows?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After watching a video where his detector was being beaten on. Teng said he sent it to him "free". This is a beta test between MDG and Deteknix and should not have reached the public, IMO. When you beta test software for games (which I have done) you don't tell the public the problems. That is what beta testing is. Looking for issues before it hits the sales floor.

Teng Jason asks MDG why he hit the machine for the "review". There's the problem. MDG "REVIEWED" it rather than "BETA TESTING" it. Communications. If it was sent free, MDG should have known it was a Beta Test though. But maybe Teng Jason asked him to review it. Who knows?

You are making some pretty big assumptions! If MDG were a beta tester, there would have been contracts and non-disclosure agreements. That didn't happen, so the only thing we can do is take MDG at his word (or are you calling him a liar?) that Teng sent him the detector to publicly review because he liked MDGs review of the DEUS (which was stated by Teng).

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sir your last two posts stated "beta test" MDG was just a reviewer and had nothing to do with what you are calling BETA TEST. MDG has stated this many times. Communication is a two way street but the indications were that attitude got in Mr. Jason's way and he choose not to. This beta business only surfaced after the fact to aid the manufacture in is ill approach to the situation.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did tell Deteknix of the issues before hand and they did not seem to care. They were expecting me to show only the good stuff. I told them there are things I just can not cover up. Like the bubble. They did not care about my thoughts to say the least so therefore Youtube got it. I lost money working on the video when I could have been working on something else for a paying client (I don't just do detecting videos). I gave Deteknix every chance before and after to correct their problem and they did me like TNet, put me on the ignore list and sent their minions after me.

I did not take the company down and that was not my original intentions, however with that being said I feel I greatly helped them by making sure they fix the issues I brought to their attention personally and publicly. Had I not they might never of fixed the issues and a lot of detectorists such as you and I would of lost a lot of money purchasing malfunctioning machines. If I get a working coil that I can review correctly then maybe I will redo the video and take my original ones down, but I do not see them sending me a working coil and to be honest I don't think I want to help promote them after what I went through for being honest.

Professional Customer Service goes a long way.

Tengs response on youtube over a week ago:

Hi Mike. That's the way you testing products? We sent you free units for testing. You called me you opened the control box by yourself and something wrong. Why not telling everybody about this? It's not a fair review at all.

Again, test? Review? Two separate things. The test failed. Testers don't open boxes. Testers don't fix problems. They give results of a test.

Seeing the bigger picture, if it was me, I'd remove the video or at least define it as a failed test of a free product in the preproduction stage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread