What's new

First find after a lifetime of searching?

TPL

Tenderfoot
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
9
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So...I am the unofficial king of what I call pseudo-Indian artifacts. My wife gets a kick out of all the rocks I bring home that I swear are Indian artifacts...I sort of secretly know they are just rocks. But this time friends...I ask for your opinion. I grabbed this rock on a hike and proclaimed it was an artifact, mostly as a joke...and after looking at it, I really think it might be. Found in Southern Ohio. I think it’s flint. Near the edge that appears sharpened, are silver lines, appearing white in the photo though. Looks like it might look if I scratched it with metal-??? I found it with another piece of flint that looks weird, like maybe part of something, but not impressive to look at.

Thanks for looking!!
 

Attachments

  • 3689BB64-77F0-410C-9412-EFE335255C63.webp
    3689BB64-77F0-410C-9412-EFE335255C63.webp
    159.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 98108A87-7F1F-4F8F-A80C-55C35DB80F01.webp
    98108A87-7F1F-4F8F-A80C-55C35DB80F01.webp
    119.4 KB · Views: 145
  • EEC86F56-F4BA-4966-96FF-EA121E047A92.webp
    EEC86F56-F4BA-4966-96FF-EA121E047A92.webp
    354.1 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 0
What part of southern Ohio are you in and was that found in a field or a creek?

It does look flaked along the edge but that could be creek tumbling too.
 
It looks like debitage rather than an artifact. However, any piece of debitage with a sharp edge could be used as an expedient knife. It's called the lithic continuum. From the time the first piece is knocked off a nodule until it is a finished artifact, any piece could be used anytime as a tool. Gary
 
A lot of Adena tools have that rind on them. I'm not sure if that is anything man made.
 
Post deposit damage. Not intentional.
 
Looks like a scraping tool to me a quicky tool used once and then tossed. I have a lot of them. I always enjoy finding them keep looking in that area might be more.
 
Thanks for checking. Maybe I’ll post later a picture of the other rock I found next to it, which I thought is just a rock, but a little unusual. These were found in an area known to have had an Indian camp-that what was making me suspect they might be authentic. Also, I have never found flint like this before, which led me to believe it might have been traded for or purchased for use. 3rd thing was the strange metallic scrapes in it, not visible in photo. Where the knapping (maybe knapping, edge) is, there are metallic silver marks, like if I took a chisel edge and scrapped it, but leaves a silver scratch.
 
Thanks for checking. Maybe I’ll post later a picture of the other rock I found next to it, which I thought is just a rock, but a little unusual. These were found in an area known to have had an Indian camp-that what was making me suspect they might be authentic. Also, I have never found flint like this before, which led me to believe it might have been traded for or purchased for use. 3rd thing was the strange metallic scrapes in it, not visible in photo. Where the knapping (maybe knapping, edge) is, there are metallic silver marks, like if I took a chisel edge and scrapped it, but leaves a silver scratch.

If it was a property that has been farmed it could be residue from farming other than that no not if its old
 
It doesn't look like man made flaking to me, looks too random, looks more like creek tumbling or farm implement strikes
 
Post deposit wear-not intentional
 
Thanks again...Here’s a picture of the rock I found with it. Made of the same material, but shaped differently. This one is smooth on two sides.
 

Attachments

  • AAD9F1CD-C852-4688-A28E-76639BC8F885.webp
    AAD9F1CD-C852-4688-A28E-76639BC8F885.webp
    77.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 62EDB615-170A-47FD-A28B-17A348D99350.webp
    62EDB615-170A-47FD-A28B-17A348D99350.webp
    61.4 KB · Views: 82
  • A9A9BD71-9263-42D0-82EF-C0018AEBAC11.webp
    A9A9BD71-9263-42D0-82EF-C0018AEBAC11.webp
    70.6 KB · Views: 91
Natural rock. There are key attributes on worked flint to look for. May want to look on line for examples. Some call waste flakes debitage. You will find natural chert outcroppings all over. What you posted is natural chert material.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom