First finds!

vilefridge

Greenie
May 27, 2004
Kamloops, BC
Detector(s) used
Lonestar
I went detecting at my Father's house downtown. Its about 100 years old.
I found about 12 nails, gum wrappers, u-clips, aluminum siding, and a bunch of other crap.
All I ever seem to find is junk everywhere I go!!
Just before I left I decided to swing underneath the steps into the front door; I found a 1975 Canadian Dime and a 1940 American penny of some sort... it says 'one cent' on the back and looks like its turning green, its not a very nice sight, I could barely make out the date.
But I'm excited I actually found something for once!

Upvote 0

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well that's great! Now 100 years old should have some silver in the ground - probably about 4-6" deep.
You can clean that coin with baking soda, water and a toothbrush. Don't use on coins of high value.

Problem is the older the house - the more junk is in the yard. You found a coin that is almost 65 years old. That's good! Might want to take on area say 25' by 25' and grid it digging everything. pick one where kids might have played - usually back yards or right in front of house by steps etc.

Junk is always on surface - the good stuff is below junk! HH!

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You have to start somewhere-- and no matter how much experience you have you will always be digging trash. An old wheat penny is a good start, and if there's one there are probably more.

In really trashy areas I use a higher discrimination. Normally this means you are leaving goodies behind, but if there is silver it will make it easier to find. Then when you can't find any more goodies, turn your discrimination down and look for nickels. That means digging lots of pull-tabs and bottlecaps, but you might find a buffalo or V nickel, or maybe even a gold ring!

Good luck, and please post pictures when you can!

OP
OP
vilefridge

vilefridge

Greenie
May 27, 2004
Kamloops, BC
Detector(s) used
Lonestar
Ocean7 said:
Might want to take on area say 25' by 25' and grid it digging everything. pick one where kids might have played - usually back yards or right in front of house by steps etc.

Junk is always on surface - the good stuff is below junk! HH!

good idea. I don't think the front yard is even 25' x 25' though haha.
the backyard is huge for the size of the house, I haven't been back there yet :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread