First gold of 2008 at the beach (and ice?)

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I spent a couple of hours hunting the negative tide this afternoon. I was hitting a lot of clad in one area and quite a few "greenies" (which I love to see). I had been talking with a Korean guy who had a Radio Shack MD and decided to go back to hunting... 2 minutes later I get a good (but shallow) signal, dug one scoop and saw that nice look of gold in the sand. An 18K earring. Didn't even realize it at the time, but there's diamonds all around it. Considering it's 18K and that fact that I can see inclusions in some of the diamonds, I'd say they're real.(gotta buy a diamond tester :) ) I don't know how anyone wore this... it's so soft and fragile. Anyway, here's the digs...
18kearring.jpg

18kice.jpg

18kice2.jpg

beachnut.jpg

Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal :)

HH

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Great find Joe :thumbsup: nice big piece too for an earring, hope the diamonds are real Congrats.
Glenn

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Fantastic, Joe. Nice going!! :thumbsup: 18K and diamonds....I'll take that anyday, anywhere!

I didn't know you were a beach hunter too. :icon_scratch: I have the beach practically in my backyard, and I rarely go there, opting for the turf deepies. I think I will give the shoreline a try this year.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
Joe G

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
Fantastic, Joe. Nice going!! :thumbsup: 18K and diamonds....I'll take that anyday, anywhere!

I didn't know you were a beach hunter too. :icon_scratch: I have the beach practically in my backyard, and I rarely go there, opting for the turf deepies. I think I will give the shoreline a try this year.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Dan: I love hunting the beach :) It's paid for both my machines and then some :icon_king:
Check your tide tables and go at low tides or around this time of month when there's a negative tide.

OP
OP
Joe G

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoldFever said:
Looking at the pic real hard I would say I am 95% sure they are real diamonds..Congrad's

After cleaning it up a bit, the "sparkle" is unmistakable. Looking at it under the loop, there are definite inclusions in some of the diamonds so I'm pretty confident they're real. I have a friend in the jewelry business and small diamonds like these really aren't worth that much. But I tell you what, between this one and a ring I found with 60-2pt. diamonds in it, I'm going to have a killer ring made one day :)

thanks!

Joe G

V3 SNIPER

May 2, 2007
toronto
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer 2 pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice find. what detector were you using? ;D

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Sweet gold find Joe!!I got to head to the beach with you ,on a nice low tide and have you show me the ropes.

OP
OP
Joe G

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XLT SNIPER said:
Nice find. what detector were you using? ;D

I have a CZ-20 and an ExpII. Believe it or not, I very rarely use the CZ-20 unless I'm working a bay up to my neck or it's raining. On the ocean side, I don't care to go in that far. Basically, I don't swim well, and the waves beat the crap out of you. I have a lot of admiration for the guys that can do it. However, I think I can do pretty well working the "lane". Some of my best finds were in around the wet sand to the high tide mark. I just bought an Excellerator 10X14 for the ExpII. It weighs a ton, but I have to say that it's the best coil I've used so far in the wet sand (other than the older stock 10.5"). I can run it fairly hot, cut back on the threshold to quiet it, and it gets some incredible depth. (although this target was only 1 scoop down; around 6 to 10") I love the fact that I can cover a lot of ground with the big coil. I'm going to give the negative tide another shot tomorrow. We'll see :)
HH!

JG

OP
OP
Joe G

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LI Tom said:
Sweet gold find Joe!!I got to head to the beach with you ,on a nice low tide and have you show me the ropes.

I'll be there tomorrow. I have the day off :)

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Joe! That's some sweet bling!

When I didn't hear from you this weekend I had a feeling you might be at the beach...I did so-so (pulled my first Buffalo though, which was nice). We gotta get out again soon.

WTG!

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions