What's new

First gold with my Excalibur II

jtlee321

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2012
Messages
32
Reaction score
50
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vancouver, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I took my Excalibur II out for the 4th time this last Thursday. It took me a little while to start to get used to the sounds it makes. I am so used to the Explorer SE. I found the ring in about knee deep water at a local lake. I also came home with a bunch of fishing sinkers. I am going to keep those for the lead. The ring is a small one, it looks to be a child's ring. It had been repaired in the past and the part of the band that would have had the markings is the part that was replaced. I was not able to confirm if it was gold until I acid tested it. It is a 14K weighing in at only 1.3g.

What do you guys do with the lead you find?

14k Child ring 6-7-12.webp
 
Upvote 0
Nice ring looks to be quite old. Keep it up.
 
Once you get used to the Excal you will find it much simpler than the Explorer.
 
sure beats digging plugs on the turf with your explorer,congrats on your first gold with the Excal
 
Thanks guys. I can't wait to get back out and hit the water!
 
Well done, congratulation!!
 
Nice ring,great find.:leprechaun-hat:
 
What do you guys do with the lead you find?

I melt all my sinkers down and cast bullets for all my handguns. Have you seen the price of ammo lately? Jeesh
 
There is a bit of a learning curve with the tones of the Excal, but once they're ingrained in your mind you'll be able to cherry pick if you so choose. Just keep swinging. :thumbsup:
 
I melt all my sinkers down and cast bullets for all my handguns. Have you seen the price of ammo lately? Jeesh


That is kind of what I had in mind. The price of ammo is getting outrageous. I was just wondering if anyone else was doing this.
 
congrats on the first of many!! I don't ever cherrypick...the reason is because you might think it sounds like one thing but turns out to be something else. will post proof later!
 
Wooo-Hoooo! Congratulations on the Golden Ticket!
 
hopefully the 1st of many :thumbsup:
 
Thanks everybody. I dig everything right now while I learn the signals of this machine. Although I do have the benefit of owning and using the Explorer SE. I do at least have an idea of how a Minelab behaves..
 
Last edited:
Nice find, for your forth time out. I am still having problems with the signals from my Excal. Finding a lot of coins, but the gold seems to be hiding. With the lead, I just keep it, until I find a good use for it
 
Lead is $.40 # so put it in a 5 gal bucket when it's full I head to the scrape yard. Nice ring
 
Nice find, for your forth time out. I am still having problems with the signals from my Excal. Finding a lot of coins, but the gold seems to be hiding. With the lead, I just keep it, until I find a good use for it

You just have to get lucky enough to walk over it with your coil. I have my discrimination set to 1. I dig everything that is repeatable and does not woble to much in tone. I have noticed that the Excal does like to produce crackled tones when it detects a decent sized rusty nail. I have found that it is easiest to check where the signal pinpoints against where the signal in discriminate is produced. The rusty nails and bolts like to put out phantom signals off the ends. You will notice that the pinpointing is just off from where you are getting the discriminated signal. Pass the coil over the area where the object is pinpointed, it should null out and then produce a tone towards the end of the null. But just like anything, practice, practice, practice...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom