First Hunt 2014, first Colonial copper,1786 Vermont Baby Head variety

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rode my Mtn bike to a site less than a mile from my house that my son and I have been very successful at since the mid to late 80s! I have hunted this place many times with zero finds and other times will find buttons and a colonial coin or two. It has been very good to me. Yesterday I hunted in the afternoon after the thick fog burned off and was happy to get 3 items that were not the numerous shotgun casings that abound at this place. Nice to get a Button, a Relic and a Colonial, good mix for a short hunt close to home.

The copper only read 07/26 on the Explorer SE, so I knew it was not a NJ copper and most likely not a counterfeit KGIII, since most are almost pure copper but less of it. However I have quite a few cast counterfeit KGII and William III and some CT coppers have read that low.

Upon cleaning I saw INDE ET LIB, so I was happy to start off 2014 with a State colonial copper, BUT, I assumed it was a CT copper, since that is the second most common state copper I find. But on the Obverse side I started to see the letters VERM --- so it was not a CT copper, better still a much harder to find Vermont copper! I wish it was in better shape, but the ground where it was found was next to a swampy area, so it is what it is. The great news is that it is a Ryder 9, known as the Baby Head variety. I did not have this one, so all the better. This is my third VT copper found in South Jersey, a Ryder 9, 16 and 21. My son has found a Ryder 1 and Ryder 16, so we now have 5 between the two of us.
Don

Attachments

• Site18 finds 1 dirty.jpg
    Site18 finds 1 dirty.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Site 18 finds 2 dirty.jpg
    Site 18 finds 2 dirty.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Site 18 finds 15 Jan 14 cleaned mineral w mineral oil.jpg
    Site 18 finds 15 Jan 14 cleaned mineral w mineral oil.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 197
  • 1786 Ryder 9 VT.jpg
    1786 Ryder 9 VT.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 228
Upvote 8

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great to see ya post, being you was limited to digging because of your back. it's good to see you found a Vermont variety that you hadn't found before and I know for you that is really saying something. Very Nice, Bill

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Don, and I'm glad you were able to get a hunt in.
What I liked even more is you biked to the site which I often do, got to love a reasonably nearby site...that is somewhat reliable.
The photographic work is even more cool than that...Thanks, cool post.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greats finds. Gotta agree on the close by sites. Walking a few hundreds from the house sure beats hiking 5 or 6 miles. I had the same thing happen with a liberty cap half cent and a connecticut copper. At most they were 20 feet away but the half cent was toast and the connecticut was my best detailed copper.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a good way to get the year going and at least it's good enough to get the variety. A CT might have been a little tougher.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you had some time to hunt. Well deserved day. A variety that you don't have, I thought you had them all...:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions