First hunt EVER.

Xilfie

Mar 25, 2015
Miami, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Pro-Pointer AT.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Finally got my Excalibur II, my first ever metal detector, and before taking it to the beach I wanted to try it on land to get used to the sounds and play with the setting plus I just wanted to try it out! I first took it to my gf's back yard which does not have grass but didn't want to dig up too much so I then took it to my front yard and practiced for a longer time there digging several holes. Miami has a sandy dirt so I could not for the life of me make a plug like I see in videos, I think it's just because there's nothing to hold the sand together unlike actual dirt but if anyone has any tips for this please let me know! Currently my machine nulls over all iron but after reading a bit more I think it's just the sensitivity being too low.

Well, here's my find. Nothing amazing but a start for me!

The trash:
1428870732104.jpg

The frame of a toy car, 16 clad pennies, and a clad quarter.
IMG_20150413_202050.jpg

Upvote 9

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You found coins, that's good. It just takes time to get the hang of the machine. Keep going out hunting, and your results will slowly improve. GL&HH.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You done good. Here in Georgia, my plugs come out pretty good, but I still tote a 2x2 piece of roofing felt with me and put my plug and any other dirt on it. Afterwards, I set my plug aside, pour the dirt in, then the plug. Keeps it neat so the landowner can never tell I've been there. I haven't gotten good enough to retrieve targets without digging yet.

leviathanrick

Mar 31, 2013
Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get yourself a bucket and save all the copper, brass, and lead that you dig. Scrap dealers pay for that stuff. The brass hose nozzle is a great start.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Tuff hunting the land with a Excalibur. Once you hunt the beach you will walk right over that old dirt.. And not look back...

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing much you can do with the sand... I use a towel to put the dug sand on, then its easy to pour it back in the hole. Don't bother trying to cut a plug, cut a couple of slits in the turf, like a V shape, use a pro pointer, and pull out your target. It takes practice, but you will get the hang of it.

Also, when I hunt, I don't wear gloves, so that I can be more precise in attaining my target. The drawback is, there is a risk of getting cut on glass, sharp aluminum cans, etc....but I aint skeered. Good luck.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Our Addiction...

And i agree with Carolina Tom, you found coins your first time out.... Thats a Good thing... :occasion14:

jmastny78

Jun 13, 2014
Three Rivers, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000
Welcome to the hobby...you are now hooked!!! LOL. It doesn't matter if you find treasure or junk, it's fun being outside and finding stuff that was once hidden from plain sight. Can't wait to see what else you find! HH

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its nice to have another girl on the board WELCOME

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to get in the water, that is where the majority of the gold is...

oldsurfer

Feb 22, 2015
Florida West Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Whites Coinmaster Classic III (oldie!), Bounty Hunter Land Tracker, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good start! I love my Excalibur! HH :icon_thumleft:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great 1st hunt, congrats. :thumbsup: It starts as a hobby until it consumes you. Totally obsessed with dirt fishing. It only gets better the more you time that you put into it.

OP
OP
Xilfie

Xilfie

Mar 25, 2015
Miami, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Pro-Pointer AT.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you! Waiting for Sunday to go to the beach, just need a scoop. Thinking about driving to Reilly's to buy one on Sat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions