First hunt of 2008 yields 2 large coppers. (Large cent and HALF CENT) UPDATE!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats up TNetters. How have you been. I haven't been out at all since late November so I decided mid-40's was a high enough temperarure to get started. I have a buddy who had a good site lined up for us to hunt. This particular homesite (nothing left but a foundation in the woods) was on a map from the late 1800's but we knew it dated back farther than that....we just werent sure how far back.
The first half hour or so was pretty uneventful. Lots of iron hits near where what looked like a barn or shed used to be. I didn't start getting any good hits until I made my way into a fairly clear area. Here I was able to locate a couple old buttons. They looked to me to be at least early 1800's.
IMG_1039.JPG

I turned to my buddy Steve and said "Where there's buttons, the coins can't be too far behind" My statement proved to be clairvoyant as my very next find about 3 minutes later was a large copper coin. It was pretty caked with dirt out of the hole so I wasn't sure what it was. Once I was able to get it soaking I was able to determine that its a draped bust large cent 179? Its in the 1790's but I cant quite make out the last digit. Can anyone see it?
IMG_1029.JPG
IMG_1030.JPG
IMG_1044.JPG
IMG_1045.JPG

We took a short break to get something to drink and right after the break I picked up where I left off. My first post break find was another coin. I was almost sure I had a 2 cent piece. I found one before and it seemed to be about the same size. I couldn't make out any detail as the coin was again covered with dirt. I rubbed a little of the wet dirt off of it (being careful not to damage the coin) and staring back at me were the words "HALF CENT". I walked over to Steve and said "Dude....this is a half cent. I've never found one of these before." Here are some pictues of it after soaking. It turned out to be an 1809.
IMG_1042.JPG
IMG_1043.JPG

Steve had a couple nice finds for the day. The first of which is this buckle/clasp type item.(last picture) I've seen a few of these on the site before but never one with a cross on it like this. I thought it was a cool find. These other pictures are a compilation of my finds for the day.
IMG_1033.JPG

Steve was also able to locate a beautiful intact crotal bell. Unfortunately, I forgot to get a picture of that find but I was jealous because I have never found an intact crotal bell before. Thanks for looking and best of luck to everyone next time out.

Attachments

• IMG_1032.JPG
    IMG_1032.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 955
  • IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 980
Upvote 1
Re: First hunt of 2008 yields 2 large coppers. (Large cent and HALF CENT)

The Seeker said:
Great coins........That is one nice site you have there. Remember those small silver pieces, those are the ones worth a few bucks. Especially the US coins. Your half cent kinda looks familiar.........John
DEJA-VU :o
You got a nice one there John. Looks like its in better shape than the one I found. What are the odds? Nice find man, and thanks for the reply.

Re: First hunt of 2008 yields 2 large coppers. (Large cent and HALF CENT)

Just to keep everyone up to speed, I submitted the story of this hunt to Whites and they replied to me today. They would like to use it for their website. The $100.00 gift certificate they give you for using it will come in handy. I could use a few new goodies. Hopefully it will be on there one of these upcoming months. They usually post a new set of user finds every month. Thanks again for the replies everyone and as the B. D. D. boys would say.......Keep the passion high. :love4: :laughing7:

Nice finds!! I found this round ???? last week at an 1800's schoolhouse site. Not sure what it is but it looks very similar to the round ???? in your first picture.There are two dates Mar 14,82 and Aug 12,84. The other side is a hollow opening,looks like theres something missing.Just thought you might want to take a closer look at your round ????
:D
Jerry

Attachments

• round buckle2.JPG
    round buckle2.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 215
awesome finds be nice to know that last digit on the draped bust any us coin in the 1700's is very cool congrats and hh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back