First hunt of 2010 - Nice 92 cent pocket spill

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Finally, a heat wave! Temps in the low 20's, and snow on the ground airy enough to let the coil sink in. :) Mark (Watercolor) was itching to hunt the woods, so he, DP Bob, & I geared up for the first hunt of the new year. Mark graciously treated us to a great sit-down breakfast at his favorite breakfast restaurant. (You know the one, Tim & Mayo.) Oh was that bacon thick! Thanks buddy! :wink:

After we were full, we deployed to our designated hunting area. Walking in, Mark found an area he wanted to hit for a few minutes. We turned on & tuned in, and within five minutes, I had my first find of the year - a 1919 wheat. Well that's a good sign! Nothing else popped up there, so we moved on toward our goal. Well, a good stand of old trees can be tempting, so we decided to hunt as we went.

After quite a long time with nothing but junk and falsing, I got a deeper signal that sounded like an Indian. I opened up the ground and hit it with my probe, and it was still in the hole. I scooped out some more, and probed it again, and got my penny - but there was another target in the hole and it was singing high tones! :) I moved a little more dirt around and I was staring at two silver quarters. :o I called the boys over to let them know it was a good area.

Hello down there!.jpg
"Hello down there!"

In hole 1.jpg

In hole 2.jpg

A closer look revealed that one of the quarters was actually two stuck together! :o The quarters turned out to be a no date SQL, a 1901 Barber, and a 1908 Barber. Good deal! :thumbsup: Further probing revealed a 1908 Barber dime, a 1917 buff, and another wheat. The wheats were 1921 & 1931.

Dime in hole.jpg

Also in the hole was a pendant or charm that looks art deco and says 1934 Chicago. I thought this might be from the '33 World's Fair which ran into '34, but I can't find any like it online. It was at least influenced by that whole modernistic style of design of that era. It is plated, and there's some flaking on the back. In the pic it looks gold, but it's really silver colored.

Finds small.jpg

Pendant smallest.jpg

What really surprised me is how the nickel, pennies, and pendant masked/altered the signal from the three quarters. Believe me, I was surprised to see silver in the hole. In my mind, I was not digging silver when I started digging. We hunted this area for a while, and then swung away as we headed back toward our cars. I sure wish that the other guys had found something! We never did make it to the spot we were aiming for. We'll have to wait for the snow to stop and the next heat wave for that.

It was a great day - Good breakfast and fun hunting with friends - the best way to start the new season! The one thing that would have made it better would be each of them finding a good spill, too. Thanks for checking out my post & HH to all!

TYK! :-* :wink:

Attachments

• In hole 2.jpg
    In hole 2.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 268
  • In hole 1.jpg
    In hole 1.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 272
  • Hello down there!.jpg
    Hello down there!.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 264
  • Dime in hole.jpg
    Dime in hole.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 273
  • Finds small.jpg
    Finds small.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 263
  • Pendant smallest.jpg
    Pendant smallest.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 259

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High fiver's to you buddy....
Oh ya I will ditto what Mark said out in the field.... You ******* ..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Great way to start the year.
Glad I was there to share it....
Love the photos

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Winner winner chicken dinner!
Great way to kick off the year Neil!

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Wow that is awesome! Glad you got one hunt in and found what I would consider to be great finds on a good weather day in soft soil. Also good timing getting it in before the snow came. I keep thinking about hitting the woods, but now will have to wait until all this snow melts away.

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS ON A GREAT START ON THE SILVER FOR THE YEAR! :hello2: :hello2:

justdigging50

Sep 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC and Minelab Explorer II
That is a fantastic way to start the year Neal. Congratulations! That's one nice pocket spill. I think that will motivate some of us (Me) to get out and try a little more winter digging. I hope the rest of your year is just as good and more great finds keep popping up.
I think that You are leading the pack for the 2010 silver hunt numbers. :icon_thumright:

bilt46

Oct 11, 2008
around town
Detector(s) used
CZ5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer spill you got there.... Always nice to have someone around to enjoy it with also. I believe you are correct that your pendant is from the 1933 fair, I found these and the ring design is the same on both just a different date and pic....Excellent start to the year.

Attachments

• 000_0003.jpg
    000_0003.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 232
  • 000_0005_00.jpg
    000_0005_00.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 220

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Way to start the year off!
Hope the weather turns around a little bit so I can get out there again. Weekends have really been nasty lately.
Keep Warm!
Mike

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
WOW, what a beautiful site that must have been seeing those come up. :o
Considering the conditions, that's a Banner find in my book. :thumbsup:
Congrats on a great spill Neil!

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well congratulations MR. Grand Master Puba! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Way to kickstart the New Year. :thumbsup:

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
Now that's how its done, Neil! Way to start of the new year.

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just telling my girlfriend about that EXCELLENT bacon at that restaurant - the rest of the food was good too but I was amazed by the bacon. I'll have to get back there again.

Congrats Neil on that really nice pocket spill!
I bet that one item was a charm or necklace for tourists that were in Chicago at the time of the fair.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Damn Neil, way to get the forum participation back on track! What an OUTSTANDING spill, especially considering the weather conditions. I can only imagine what it must have felt like finding that. I have never found anything like that before! That's a nice old silver spill if I ever saw one.

My last hunt was with Mark, Tim, and Bob, and it wasn't too pretty. Way too muddy (I don't have a long-handled digger) and my arm support assembly fell apart and got lost in the snow. I'm done until at least the snow lets up a bit. I consider myself a hardcore digger but when I start losing stuff in the snow and whatnot I'm outtie!

Hey man, thanks for the winter fix. I can't wait to get out there again.

Joe

Olderactor

Oct 28, 2008
Old Irving Park Chicago, IL
Detector(s) used
XLT, Excalibur ll, E-trac, Explorer 2 xpdeus, minelab 3030
Great find. I had no idea that you guys hunt in the snow. I suppose you even have snowshoes for the deep stuff.
I sent my detector back to minelab to have them check it over. I should be getting it back soon. Then maybe I will put on my long underwear and get out there.

Great start for the year.

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!! A great motivator to hunt
in the winter months and detecting
wooded areas