First hunt of the year wishlist came true! 1800s coinspill n more silver!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally found some time to get out. I am an x-ray tech so this stoopid virus just means more work and longer hours for me. My friend is pretty new to detecting so he has these ideas of where to go. The problem is, they are the same ideas we all have. New detectorists pull out the map, find the documented spots and go there. I explained his spot looks great on paper. Union troops camped in the area during the Civil war, but it has most likely been picked clean after years of detecting. We jump out and I dig my first hole. Its an iffy 20, 25, 26 jumping around on the nox. Pinpointing it barely registers but is an oblong shape. I cut the plug deep and fold it back and on the top of the plug is a Barber dime! Yay. Not quite period but first hole of 2020, first silver. I rescan the hole and theres more,.. I poke around and out comes an Indian, then another Indian! Unfortunately I scraped one with the digger. This has been happening more than I would like all of a sudden especially with deep old coin spills. Hey at least I am digging them. He starts saying , "Y'know maybe we should try,.." and I hold up the coins.
" This is the spot." Then we get into some deep clad, trash etc. I find a possible rosette. We wander, take a break. I say " I want to find a Seated quarter, something I know was dropped by these troops."
Next target rings as a deep 20. I dig and its a lousy wheat penny. About two feet away I get pretty much the same signal, flat 20. I am skipping anything that screams in pinpoint, only looking for those whispery hits. This one sounds kind of big but I dig the plug deep. Nothing in the plug. I scan the hole. Big signal in the bottom. I poke out a big rusty nail. I check the hole. Still a signal in the bottom sidewall. I poke over to it ad out pops my Seated liberty quarter!!! Not quite a bucket lister but always high on my list. I clean it off. 1853 with arrows and rays. Unfortunately someones scratched it up. I look really closely and there are three initials cut into the coin!!! Freaking awesome. Someone carved their initials into it. While I am sad when I find mutilated coins, in this instance I believe a Union soldier carved his initials into it as some sort of primitive dog tag or poker chip. I was pumped. I was a little sad my friend didn't find anything of note. It was only his second time out with the nox. I did give him a good lesson on what to skip and what to dig. I could have missed a shallow Morgan dollar but assuming the whole area has been scanned repeatedly with older machines I only dug the tiny signals that were hard to get the coil over and hard to pinpoint. I am sure someone else put their coil over that quarter in the past and decided it was just a squeaky nail. It almost had me fooled but the nox was giving me enough to want to dig. Then I get a solid 31 but its nulling out on the side. I figure I am on a roll so I pop the plug and see a chain. I start slicing along to pull the chain up and the sterling Mary pops out! Now theres some luck. I wanted to go right back the next day but couldn't talk him into going out again and the areas really rough. Now we're in this lock down so it'll be a while... I forgot to get a pic with the indians and rosette. I'll get a pic of them soon n add it. Thanks for reading n happy hunting

Attachments

• IMG_20200328_205439447.jpg
    IMG_20200328_205439447.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
Upvote 11

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome! Did your friend find anything?

Be safe at work and thank you for being on the front line of this nasty virus.

OP
OP
T

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend didn't find anything of note. I'll get him up to speed on the nox in another hunt or two. I actually got into healthcare after surviving being in the North tower on 911. That day I tried to help and wanted to be able to better care for the injured people I came across. That fearful time i found myself saying "God, get me through this and I'll be a better person, I'll help people,.. "
I became an x-ray tech. I thought I'd be a nurse but I love weird gadgets n such. I am trying to avoid the virus as long as I can but am actually looking forward to getting over it ( provided I live through it) and becoming immune so I can continue to help people. For now, each of us not becoming a casualty is helping keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread