First hunt on Padre Island

HoboFett

Nov 29, 2018
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro, Minelab GoFind 66, Harbor Freight 9 function metal detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20181202_134759.jpg

Just got home from my first hunt on Padre Island. The tide was coming in and winter tides here push all the way up to the sand dunes, so I didn't have much time before driving became impossible.

All but two of those coins we're just sitting there next to the truck before I'd even gotten the detector ready. Lol. The other two were late 60's copper pennies. Nothing special.

Oh, and that glass bottle? It's an injection vial. Someone was shooting up something on the beach. I'm going to just assume it was insulin because that makes me feel better about my community. Hahaha.

Upvote 10

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the site. I could easily be wrong, but there may be some regulations about the Texas gulf coast pertaining to metal detecting. I hope I am that could be an excellent spot for hunting.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice job...keep at it! :occasion14:

OP
OP
H

HoboFett

Nov 29, 2018
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro, Minelab GoFind 66, Harbor Freight 9 function metal detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site. I could easily be wrong, but there may be some regulations about the Texas gulf coast pertaining to metal detecting. I hope I am that could be an excellent spot for hunting.

You aren't wrong. But it's not the entire coast. State parks and the Padre island national seashore proper are off limits, but there are very long stretches controlled by city or county. I was close enough to the national seashore to see the barricade, but I was on the kleberg county side where detecting is allowed.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad at least part is open. I live on lake Michigan and about half is national lakeshore.

OP
OP
H

HoboFett

Nov 29, 2018
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really is a bummer that national parks are all off limits to metal detecting. I can understand it for certain national parks or areas within a park....but a Sandy Beach doesn't make much sense. Then again, Padre island was a bombing range before WWII, so maybe it's a good idea not to be digging around. Haha.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds that community spirit is there lol Well done

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread