First hunt with the 11" today. Silver?

biggziff

Oct 12, 2013
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
XLT, Deus, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I changed everything up today. 11" coil, new programs (Andy's trashy and Hi Performance programs bouncing back and forth) and a new site I hadn't hunted yet. This site is a very large park with a campground, playgrounds, boat launches (river), pavilions and a large performance stage for bands, etc. I can see evidence that someone has been detecting here recently. I hunted near the stage where people generally sit to watch the musicians, etc. 10 steps from the car I got a clear signal that indicated a pull tab, but I dug it anyway as it didn't sound right. I pulled out a pull tab and just as I was going to fill the hole I ran the pinpointer through the sides and bottom of the hole and it buzzed again. 30 seconds later I pulled this ring out of the hole!

Not bad and I think it's silver and turquoise. Also got a bunch of clad as well as about 50 beer bottle tops! Never dug so many in my life. Rang up around 86-88 @ 12Khz and I finally realized they had a faint iron buzz to them. I dug a few more just to confirm and then stopped digging anything in that range.

I like how quiet Andy's trashy program is, but I'd switch back and forth to one of about 4 programs as I walked with the new coil. Seems like a winner although I don't see a lot of difference yet. I'll go back to some of the sites I've hunted with the 9" and see if anything jumps out of the ground.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 97
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 109

ShOwStOpp3r

Sep 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea keep us updated on that new coil,,were curious how it compares to the 9",,its gotta be a little special to justify dropping 500 bucks for a new coil..
id bury some stuff and test the depths and sensitivity if you really cant tell any difference between the 9" and 11" that would suck but we'd appreciate an honest opinion..

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! Thanks for the pick!

OP
OP
B

biggziff

Oct 12, 2013
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
XLT, Deus, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, at this point, the extra real estate I can cover is a good thing...although not worth $400.

I have to test further, but it seems like the pin point is not at the center of the coil at least not with my copy. I'm finding it is about where the shaft meets the coil mount and sometimes to the left of that point. I hunted for 3 hours yesterday and dug at least 30 holes so I tested this pretty carefully.

I'll take your suggestion and modify my test garden and try both coils, then report back.

Ballaholyk84

Sep 29, 2013
Beaverton, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 Probe, Garret Pro-Pointer, Lesche Digger, Minelab Pro-Swing 45
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind the great benefit of getting a second coil. Its like getting another DEUS for $4-500. I know once I get my 11" I am going to throw together another shaft with the stocker on it so when a friend or family want to go out they have a full detector and can use the control unit while I use the the headphones and they can just plug some other headphones into the unit. Amazing benefit to this machine. Even if the 11" performs just as well or slightly better than the stock 9" at least you have another detector at your disposal if needed.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind the great benefit of getting a second coil. Its like getting another DEUS for $4-500. I know once I get my 11" I am going to throw together another shaft with the stocker on it so when a friend or family want to go out they have a full detector and can use the control unit while I use the the headphones and they can just plug some other headphones into the unit. Amazing benefit to this machine. Even if the 11" performs just as well or slightly better than the stock 9" at least you have another detector at your disposal if needed.

Agreed its pretty cool you can do that having 2 highend machines for accesories of ur original

OP
OP
B

biggziff

Oct 12, 2013
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
XLT, Deus, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep...I'm aware of that. I'm not at the point where I'd dig based only on audio. I'd be digging every 5" and never cover any ground. I wish I had an experienced Deus user here to hunt with me for a few hours as I think that level of instruction would provide immense assistance to a new Deus user. If you talk to those selling a used Deus they nearly all tell the same story.... "I can't figure this thing out" I understand the desire to differentiate from the other MDs out there, but they really should provide some decent video instruction for those unlikely to know about or buy Andy's book. I think they'd sell a lot more units.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I tried the 11" coil yesterday for the first time and got soaking wet after an hour but really enjoyed it. First thing I noticed was the that it was hard to pinpoint the target with it unless you used the pin pointer on the control (sometimes that didn't work). So I had to take that out of my pocket all the time. O! Well other than that it was fine. Found 3 wheaties, an arcade token and 5 modern cents.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I tried the 11" coil yesterday for the first time and got soaking wet after an hour but really enjoyed it. First thing I noticed was the that it was hard to pinpoint the target with it unless you used the pin pointer on the control (sometimes that didn't work). So I had to take that out of my pocket all the time. O! Well other than that it was fine. Found 3 wheaties, an arcade token and 5 modern cents.

3 wheaties, must be silver there somewhere! ;)

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 wheaties, must be silver there somewhere! ;)

There is. :laughing9: I just got another Merc this afternoon, another two wheaties, a buffalo nickel and a bunch of other clad and Canadian in just under two hours and boy where my fingers cold. It's coming.:laughing9:

20131113_171240.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread