What's new

First Large Cent I ever found...thought it was a clad half dollar :)

Bigpoppa

Full Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2012
Messages
125
Reaction score
146
Golden Thread
0
Location
Dirty Jerzee
Detector(s) used
ML Excal II
ML Sov GT
Compass 77B
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been hunting since 1974-75 off and on, and have never found a Large Cent until recently :laughing7:
I hunted in the glory days of the 70's, but mostly grade schools, so tons of silver coins found , but I never found a Large Cent in the dirt or sand in all my days of hunting until recently...
When I dug it it had that red patina as shown, so I thought it was maybe a clad Kennedy Half, but when I got home I saw a few details that told me differently...
I could see the resemeblance of a female head and STATES on the reverse..I soaked it in olive oil for two days and did some minor tooth brush cleaning...
Not positive of anything, but my guess is that is an 1818 Large Cent...toasted to death, but I'm still loving it :)


Tried to take the best pics I could :)

Before Cleaning as found:
LargeCent2JPG.jpg



After Olive oil cleaning front and back:
LargeCent4.jpg


LargeCent5.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Congratulations on your First!! Way Cool!!! :occasion14:
 
I congratulate on first coin!!
Good luck next hunt!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom