Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Ace 250
TC3X
BH Texas Pilot
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For my first real hunt, not practicing, and playing around, I spent about 5 hours hunting the participant camp areas at TRF and I learned many things.

1. My Garrett Ace 250 is an Awesome Starter unit....
2. My new Garrett Pouch’s Inner pocket was torn on one end and the zipper was in the bottom of pouch…
3. Pin Pointers are NOT what they are cracked up to be….in fact they suck. They beep all the time.
4. Keep your digging tool away from your pin pointer when trying to find a target.....
5. A Pin Pointer is an absolute MUST! I was amazed at how quickly I was able to find targets especially when close to surface.....
6. The ground is really hard at TRF and a good digging tool is key....
7. Do not dig EVERY signal for 2 hours....
8. TRF IS ON AN IRON BED!
9. When hunting on heavy iron deposits, Turn down sensitivity and discriminate iron.....
10. Gloves triple your digging time...especially in hard ground....
11. The Ace 250 can pick up a sliver of aluminum at 6 inches....
12. My Ace 250 thinks Pull Tabs and Aluminum cans are Pennies, Pennies are Dimes and Dimes are Quarters, and 50¢ are Quarters.....
13. My Ace 250 also thinks the bottom of a spam can, from who the hell knows when, in hard iron enriched dirt, 8 inches down, is a freaking $1.00 coin.
14. The group of actors practicing about 50 yards did not know you just dug your first silver and is on the phone to the local loony bin because some nutball is jumping around with a long stick with a circle at the end yelling “All Right!!!!”
15. If your almost 50 and not used to the up and down and up and down motion of Metal Detecting, digging in hard earth and you’re not in shape…well pear is a shape I guess, you’re gonna hurt at the end of the day.
16. One of the coolest feelings you will ever have is documenting your finds…
17. You will not be able to wait until your next hunt….
18. 2 Words....Wireless Headphones.

Now, this is what I found…..

Attachments

• First Hunt TRF.jpg
    First Hunt TRF.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 119
  • First Silver.jpg
    First Silver.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Trash First Hunt.jpg
    Trash First Hunt.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Upvote 6

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girlfriend still thinks that metal detecting is not good exercise! Nice finds, you are a digging machine, keep at it, your digging muscles will get much stronger. I'm the best digger in my neighborhood!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, sounds like you are getting the hang of it. Congrats on the silver.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome aboard. Be prepared, it gets addicting once you make some good finds. Nice skaters ring.

OP
OP
Hawk'n Dirt

Hawk'n Dirt

Sep 6, 2013
Humble, Tx
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Ace 250
TC3X
BH Texas Pilot
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Susan, Wildman, VP.

Boy Don't I know it Don.... I have not had this much fun in 30 years. Documenting everything was such a joy. I was really amazed at how much I found. It didn't seem like it while hunting but putting it together was an eye opener....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread