What's new

First relic find for 2017

dognose

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
4,570
Reaction score
13,179
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I hesitated to post due to some of the abrasive post I have been reading.

Questions asked that are not ever answered concerning authenticators and sellers of questionable artifacts.


Anyway, I got out Feb 5th and had a decent day. Found many broken relics. Found two axes and a nice dovetail.

Within ten minutes of entering the field I spied the first ax, a three quarter grove ax 4 7/8 inches in length.

Found the dovetail about an hour later. Made of coshocton flint, nicely beveled and 95% complete, with only a small ding. At 2.5 inches its very nice.

Found the next ax about 20 minutes later, spied it a ways off. I nice full grove 4 /18 in length.


Found a number of very nice thumb scrapers in this field over the years. Found two this day.

It was not a bad day.

Interestingly enough, I often will find two hardstone relics the same day. Two axes, or an ax and a pestle, or an ax and a celt, or a celt and a pestle. Has happened many, many times over the last number of years.

I have video but not posting that. Only the photos.
 

Attachments

  • full_groove_first_spotted.webp
    full_groove_first_spotted.webp
    946.9 KB · Views: 178
  • full_groove_buried.webp
    full_groove_buried.webp
    533.6 KB · Views: 165
  • full_groove_1.webp
    full_groove_1.webp
    360.8 KB · Views: 148
  • dove_buried.webp
    dove_buried.webp
    2.3 MB · Views: 230
  • dove.webp
    dove.webp
    890.8 KB · Views: 242
  • 20170210_074423.webp
    20170210_074423.webp
    480.9 KB · Views: 164
  • three_quart_ax_buried.webp
    three_quart_ax_buried.webp
    545.1 KB · Views: 162
  • three_quart_ax.webp
    three_quart_ax.webp
    513.8 KB · Views: 173
Upvote 0
Great looking pieces. Sure is a nice looking point. How nice to have such a great place to hunt. I would do cartwheels if I found an axe! Congratulations. The field looks so flat , is there water nearby?
 
Great finds. There are folks around who play the game "what I have is gold and what you have is garbage". Been going on forever, especially if they want your item. Anybody can post anything and a lot of social media is prime garbage! ANYBODY can print a COA, and even experts can be fooled. Once a long time ago I dug an ash pit in a Revolutionary War camp. Dug two perfect "USA" buttons out of it. 3' underground. Ran out of money and went to sell them and most of the dealers at this one show told me they were fakes. Of course there was one person who knew better and I got a fortune for them. At least a fortune back then.
 
The creek is just about 10 feet from the fields edge. The wood line you see in the ax photo is not the creek side, but a fence row between fields.
 
Nice Finds! :icon_thumleft: I don't believe that point is a ''Dove Tail''. Looks like that field is pretty muddy?
 
You have some great hunting grounds!
 
very nice finds,i can tell who is real,and who is trying to deceive.i think your good.
 
Those are some great artifacts (SUPER FINDS):notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
 
I'm sure your local archeologist would love to do some digging in that field. Those are some really nice finds.
 
Nice finds .... You have any pics of the second axe cleaned up ? Is it polished ? Nice point to I would say you had a great start to the year
 
Nice Finds! :icon_thumleft: I don't believe that point is a ''Dove Tail''. Looks like that field is pretty muddy?


I'd have to agree. It looks more Woodland and most likely Snyder related. Killer finds though, all of them. Two Axes in one day is just freaking awesome!
 
Was not a bad day? Good lord man, I'd hate to see a good day? Really nice finds. Congrats. I've never had much luck finding hard stone. Glad to see someone is finding it.
 
I'm sure your local archeologist would love to do some digging in that field. Those are some really nice finds.

Better yet, get permission (to dig) from the landowner and dig it yourself. Or get the archs involved and potentially lose access to a good site. If you start encountering burials, of course you need to get the right authorities involved. And if you find something ridiculous that hasn't already been researched ad nauseam, sure you'd want to call them in, but other than one of those scenarios, keep it to yourself.

Great finds and ain't no telling what's below the plow line. Good luck and thanks for sharing the goodies with us.
 
Man your lucky.... Good finds
 
Lucky indeed. And you managed to get some great pics too-good job.
 
Nice corner notch, sure could be a Snyders. Like the color
 
Really cool finds.

Not to be dismissive of another members post, but be very careful with digging for artifacts in Indiana, my home state has some the strictest limitations in the US. Surface collecting is perfectly legal, but digging for relics on private land (even if you own the land) is illegal if you don't have a permit and follow an approved plan.

https://www.in.gov/dnr/historic/files/hp_archaeolaw.pdf

Better yet, get permission (to dig) from the landowner and dig it yourself. Or get the archs involved and potentially lose access to a good site. If you start encountering burials, of course you need to get the right authorities involved. And if you find something ridiculous that hasn't already been researched ad nauseam, sure you'd want to call them in, but other than one of those scenarios, keep it to yourself.

Great finds and ain't no telling what's below the plow line. Good luck and thanks for sharing the goodies with us.
 
That looks muddy I bet your legs were tired after walking through that stuff. Soy bean before the plow? Nice finds of course it looked to be a good day with 2 axes and a very nice point.
 
It's is a dove.
Snyders will have an elliptical cross section, where this dove has a rhomboid from the sharpening. The base is well ground. You can make out the beveling in the photo of my hand holding the point. I have found both snyders and dove points in this area, not normal in the same locations though.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom