First Seated!! And Some Misc. Keepers

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Tools Little Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Earlier this week I revisited an old mid 19th century homestead where I had previously hadn't had much luck, only finding one large flat button. I knew there had to be some other good items lurking there amongst the rusted iron, which seemed to be everywhere. I re-checked the back yard where I had found the previous button and finally got a couple of nice repeatable signals. The first one turned out to be a small (1 1/8") old NYC Police badge at 5" deep. How that got there I'll never know. The next decent signal turned out to be a small gold plated ring. After that the good signals dried up so I moved to the small field next to the house and ended up finding two silver plated horse bridle rosettes, an unfired musket ball, a small flat button backmarked "Double Plate- London" and the best find, my first seated coin an 1875 dime in decent condition. I'm glad I didn't give up on this site, and I'll be going back there again.

001.JPG 002.JPG 005.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

Upvote 33

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Earlier this week I revisited an old mid 19th century homestead where I had previously hadn't had much luck, only finding one large flat button. I knew there had to be some other good items lurking there amongst the rusted iron, which seemed to be everywhere. I re-checked the back yard where I had found the previous button and finally got a couple of nice repeatable signals. The first one turned out to be a small (1 1/8") old NYC Police badge at 5" deep. How that got there I'll never know. The next decent signal turned out to be a small gold plated ring. After that the good signals dried up so I moved to the small field next to the house and ended up finding two silver plated horse bridle rosettes, an unfired musket ball, a small flat button backmarked "Double Plate- London" and the best find, my first seated coin an 1875 dime in decent condition. I'm glad I didn't give up on this site, and I'll be going back there again.

Nice finds. Congrats on the seated!
The MXT is good in iron I guess?
Never used one, but I know they run around 14kHz.

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some amazing finds, my friend!!! Persistence definitely rewarded you!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
job well done !!!

lost it

Aug 24, 2015
new england
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice dime and relics those rosettes are cool--my first seated was also an 1875--I think yours is a little nicer looking though--what mint mine is a cc

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing like your first! Big time congrats to you on your first seated!

-- Jeff --

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice seated. That thing is in amazing condition given the amount of time it was in the ground.

Congrats on a great hunt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Metdet49

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Tools Little Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice dime and relics those rosettes are cool--my first seated was also an 1875--I think yours is a little nicer looking though--what mint mine is a cc

This didn't have a mint mark, so I guess it's one of the more common ones. I would love for it to have been a CC. I believe those are scarcer.

OP
OP
Metdet49

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. Congrats on the seated!
The MXT is good in iron I guess?
Never used one, but I know they run around 14kHz.

Thanks CoilFisher. I'm finally getting a good handle on interpreting my MXT VDI ID's and tones so I'm not digging a lot of iron. That being said, any questionable signals I dig.

OP
OP
Metdet49

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dug a few seated dimes now,never found a badge, I think the badge may be the winner for the hunt .. Very cool

I agree slowwevo, that badge was quite a surprise. I also dug a larger silver plated Salvation Army badge at another old homesite this year. They make for cool displays.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread