What's new

First Seated!! And Some Misc. Keepers

Metdet49

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2012
Messages
300
Reaction score
188
Golden Thread
0
Location
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Tools Little Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Earlier this week I revisited an old mid 19th century homestead where I had previously hadn't had much luck, only finding one large flat button. I knew there had to be some other good items lurking there amongst the rusted iron, which seemed to be everywhere. I re-checked the back yard where I had found the previous button and finally got a couple of nice repeatable signals. The first one turned out to be a small (1 1/8") old NYC Police badge at 5" deep. How that got there I'll never know. The next decent signal turned out to be a small gold plated ring. After that the good signals dried up so I moved to the small field next to the house and ended up finding two silver plated horse bridle rosettes, an unfired musket ball, a small flat button backmarked "Double Plate- London" and the best find, my first seated coin an 1875 dime in decent condition. I'm glad I didn't give up on this site, and I'll be going back there again.

001.webp002.webp005.webp003.webp004.webp
 
Upvote 66
Congratualtions on the nice seated dime!
 
Earlier this week I revisited an old mid 19th century homestead where I had previously hadn't had much luck, only finding one large flat button. I knew there had to be some other good items lurking there amongst the rusted iron, which seemed to be everywhere. I re-checked the back yard where I had found the previous button and finally got a couple of nice repeatable signals. The first one turned out to be a small (1 1/8") old NYC Police badge at 5" deep. How that got there I'll never know. The next decent signal turned out to be a small gold plated ring. After that the good signals dried up so I moved to the small field next to the house and ended up finding two silver plated horse bridle rosettes, an unfired musket ball, a small flat button backmarked "Double Plate- London" and the best find, my first seated coin an 1875 dime in decent condition. I'm glad I didn't give up on this site, and I'll be going back there again.

Nice finds. Congrats on the seated!
The MXT is good in iron I guess?
Never used one, but I know they run around 14kHz.
 
Those are some amazing finds, my friend!!! Persistence definitely rewarded you!
 
job well done !!!
 
nice dime and relics those rosettes are cool--my first seated was also an 1875--I think yours is a little nicer looking though--what mint mine is a cc
 
Awesome! A seated dime in great condition! It does not get any better than that! Congrats!
 
Nothing like your first! Big time congrats to you on your first seated!

-- Jeff --
 
Really nice seated. That thing is in amazing condition given the amount of time it was in the ground.

Congrats on a great hunt.
 
Last edited:
nice dime and relics those rosettes are cool--my first seated was also an 1875--I think yours is a little nicer looking though--what mint mine is a cc

This didn't have a mint mark, so I guess it's one of the more common ones. I would love for it to have been a CC. I believe those are scarcer.
 
Nice finds. Congrats on the seated!
The MXT is good in iron I guess?
Never used one, but I know they run around 14kHz.

Thanks CoilFisher. I'm finally getting a good handle on interpreting my MXT VDI ID's and tones so I'm not digging a lot of iron. That being said, any questionable signals I dig.
 
dug a few seated dimes now,never found a badge, I think the badge may be the winner for the hunt .. Very cool

I agree slowwevo, that badge was quite a surprise. I also dug a larger silver plated Salvation Army badge at another old homesite this year. They make for cool displays.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom