What's new

First silver coin. Anti-climactic after 17 mo of MD, 22 gold rings, & $1K in clad :(

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2015
Messages
1,147
Reaction score
2,376
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First silver coin. Anti-climactic after 17 mo of MD, 22 gold rings, & $1K in clad :(

Edit: No longer maintaining post.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 46
Congrats on digging your 1st Silver coin. Now that you've broken the ice, they should appear more often.
 
Congrats! I'm just the opposite of you. Lots of silver coins but not a single ring yet! I'm patiently waiting to experience what finding that first gold ring feels like.

Just wait until you find your first Merc. I think that will be a special moment for you. Rosies are cool, but we're so used to that design that they're not as exciting. But Mercs get me excited every time. If no one is around, I usually celebrate with a yell. They have so much character and there's always a chance for that 1916 D. Now, go get a Merc!
 
Congratz on your first silver coin! I agree with Echoplex, eventually you will hunt an older site and find an older design silver coin. Then you will be excited for sure! Continued Good Luck to you and your son!
 
Congratulations! What a special coin for you!!!
 
Yep, they are getting to be few and far between. At least, when you told your son you found a silver coin, he didn't ask, "They used to make coins out of silver!?!? " ;)

Also, with the way the newest detectorist are taught, to skip all signals less than silver. They're gonna get more and more rare.

And, don't let depth fool you. I've found Indian Head Cents just laying on top. My oldest silver,(1812), was only 3.5 inches down. Sometimes, they are just a recent drop of an old coin. Sometimes they might even be from a detectorist who missed their pouch or from someone who were trying to put them in a compact after finding it, then, they not only lost the coin, but the found compact as well. ( LOL)
 
I've found 32 silver coins and one gold ring in three years of detecting. I think I'd rather have 22 gold rings and one silver coin, though!
 
Congrats on the silver. I guess the type of finds generally depends on the type of site you are hunting. In seven years I have found hundreds of silver coins, but only ONE real gold ring. I never hunt sports fields/schools/beaches, so the lack of gold is to be expected.

You might need to mix it up a bit, and find an older location if you want the "history connection" feeling of finding old coins. Do you have a friend or relative with an older home/yard? Might be worth a shot. However, your gold/ring/clad totals are impressive! Nothing wrong with that.
 
Silver near the surface is possible. Even gold near the surface. Once and done? Hope not!
 
Congrats on the first SiLvEr!!!!! Its all down hill from here!!!:laughing7::occasion14:
 
Well, I'm legit on the silver side, but a total loser on the gold side. Not one gold ring! I guess I'm just not digging enough pull tabs. Congrats on your first silver. I can still remember my own excitement.
 
Good score on the silver coin.

Regards + HH

Bill
 
Congratulations on your first silver coin. You're a bona fide detectorist now! :occasion14:
 
Awesome! Congrats!

I think the recent drops of silver coinage is due to people starting to spend that long saved silver coinage.
I've turned up 2 Rosies in the coinstar rejects so far. People may pocket and lose them.
 
Well Skippy from the 22 gold rings found in 17 months to your first silver dime just shows persistence pays off. Congrats on that. But you are still the ring king.
 
Congrats! Now you've set a bar to beat, go get it!!
 
or from someone who were trying to put them in a compact after finding it, then, they not only lost the coin, but the found compact as well. ( LOL)
yikes!, why does that sound familiar :icon_scratch:lmao, poor dave
 
It's all relative. And the folks who find Civil War stuff? That's COOL... I'd never find any of that in Idaho! Every place has it's treasures, it's our job to find them. :)

I'm in the same boat, would love to find civil war relics, but not going to happen up here in the Great White North. The closest thing we can hope for is Indian War artifacts. There was Indian War activity in Idaho, I'm sure there are things to find. I bet many soldiers wound up settling in Idaho after the war. Hopefully they dropped some belt plates and buttons on their homesteads.
 
Hah, I'll trade you all my silver finds for gold. I've found lots of silver, no gold yet, though until recently I've largely been ignoring the tone range for the yellow stuff.
Congrats!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom