First silver coin. Anti-climactic after 17 mo of MD, 22 gold rings, & $1K in clad :(

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on digging your 1st Silver coin. Now that you've broken the ice, they should appear more often.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! I'm just the opposite of you. Lots of silver coins but not a single ring yet! I'm patiently waiting to experience what finding that first gold ring feels like.

Just wait until you find your first Merc. I think that will be a special moment for you. Rosies are cool, but we're so used to that design that they're not as exciting. But Mercs get me excited every time. If no one is around, I usually celebrate with a yell. They have so much character and there's always a chance for that 1916 D. Now, go get a Merc!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on your first silver coin! I agree with Echoplex, eventually you will hunt an older site and find an older design silver coin. Then you will be excited for sure! Continued Good Luck to you and your son!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, they are getting to be few and far between. At least, when you told your son you found a silver coin, he didn't ask, "They used to make coins out of silver!?!? " ;)

Also, with the way the newest detectorist are taught, to skip all signals less than silver. They're gonna get more and more rare.

And, don't let depth fool you. I've found Indian Head Cents just laying on top. My oldest silver,(1812), was only 3.5 inches down. Sometimes, they are just a recent drop of an old coin. Sometimes they might even be from a detectorist who missed their pouch or from someone who were trying to put them in a compact after finding it, then, they not only lost the coin, but the found compact as well. ( LOL)

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found 32 silver coins and one gold ring in three years of detecting. I think I'd rather have 22 gold rings and one silver coin, though!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver. I guess the type of finds generally depends on the type of site you are hunting. In seven years I have found hundreds of silver coins, but only ONE real gold ring. I never hunt sports fields/schools/beaches, so the lack of gold is to be expected.

You might need to mix it up a bit, and find an older location if you want the "history connection" feeling of finding old coins. Do you have a friend or relative with an older home/yard? Might be worth a shot. However, your gold/ring/clad totals are impressive! Nothing wrong with that.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the first SiLvEr!!!!! Its all down hill from here!!!:laughing7::occasion14:

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm legit on the silver side, but a total loser on the gold side. Not one gold ring! I guess I'm just not digging enough pull tabs. Congrats on your first silver. I can still remember my own excitement.

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first silver coin. You're a bona fide detectorist now! :occasion14:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Congrats!

I think the recent drops of silver coinage is due to people starting to spend that long saved silver coinage.
I've turned up 2 Rosies in the coinstar rejects so far. People may pocket and lose them.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Skippy from the 22 gold rings found in 17 months to your first silver dime just shows persistence pays off. Congrats on that. But you are still the ring king.

s1222l

Apr 28, 2016
Central Mass
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" & 11" / Teknetics T2 Classic / Tesoro Vaquero / DetectorPro Pirate Pro
Garrett Propointer AT / Deteknix XPointer / Vance Muffs / Deteknix HD Muffs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! Now you've set a bar to beat, go get it!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or from someone who were trying to put them in a compact after finding it, then, they not only lost the coin, but the found compact as well. ( LOL)
yikes!, why does that sound familiar :icon_scratch:lmao, poor dave

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all relative. And the folks who find Civil War stuff? That's COOL... I'd never find any of that in Idaho! Every place has it's treasures, it's our job to find them. :)

I'm in the same boat, would love to find civil war relics, but not going to happen up here in the Great White North. The closest thing we can hope for is Indian War artifacts. There was Indian War activity in Idaho, I'm sure there are things to find. I bet many soldiers wound up settling in Idaho after the war. Hopefully they dropped some belt plates and buttons on their homesteads.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hah, I'll trade you all my silver finds for gold. I've found lots of silver, no gold yet, though until recently I've largely been ignoring the tone range for the yellow stuff.
Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions