What's new

First Silver Dime from a Loomis MWR and It's a Winner! A 1917 D Merc!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2013
Messages
4,210
Reaction score
8,045
Golden Thread
1
Location
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've opened hundreds of those annoying Loomis MWR's and never gotten one silver dime, until today! I scored a 1917 D Merc! It's wafer thin and really worn to heck, but I don't care. It's a Merc and had a relatively low mintage of 9,402,000. Very nice find in my book!

I would have bet the farm that all Loomis rolls were silver free. Guess I would have lost that bet!

DSC06659.webpDSC06661.webp
 
Upvote 0
Considering it's age that is a beauty!

Why should Loomis machinery or Coinstar for that matter kick out silver?
I have gone through lots of Loomis rolls looking for wheats with good success. However, their machinery can't count. Some rolls are one or two short. And yes their rolls are a bear to open.
 
And yes their rolls are a bear to open.

Yup, bang them on the table and the end coins stay in the roll! I peel the wrapper open with a knife. Only way I can do it without getting irritated!
 
FreeBird: wouldn't it have been PURE LUCK if your first Merc dime was a 1916-D. Soooo close, but only one year away. Congrats.
 
FreeBird: wouldn't it have been PURE LUCK if your first Merc dime was a 1916-D. Soooo close, but only one year away. Congrats.

I'm glad I saw the obverse first! Would have been very stressful to see that worn reverse with part of a "D" showing first!
 
Why should Loomis machinery or Coinstar for that matter kick out silver?

Because they're the incorrect weight. Coinstar machines definitely kick out silver coins. I'll have to weigh this Merc and see if it's close to the weight of a clad Rosie. That might explain how it slipped by the Loomis machines.
 
Just weighed it and the Merc weighs in at 2.30 grams, which is very close to the weight of a clad dime. That would explain how it slipped by their machines.

I don't recall ever getting a foreign coin in a Loomis roll either. But I have found silver and foreign coins in the NF String rolls.
 
N F String is ONLY the name of the paper roll manufacturer that MAKES THE ROLL . They have NOTHING to do with filling, counting, touching, or shipping rolls of coins to the banks. That process is usually done by: Brinks, Loomis, Garda, Dunbar, etc.
 
Because they're the incorrect weight. Coinstar machines definitely kick out silver coins. I'll have to weigh this Merc and see if it's close to the weight of a clad Rosie. That might explain how it slipped by the Loomis machines.

It's not the weight, it is the inductance (electrical properties) that causes Coinstar to reject coins of a particular metal alloy.
They use the same technology in vending machines and slot machines to validate coins.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom