First Silver with my new Compadre

Talondale

Sep 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went detecting a couple of places this weekend. Saturday I went to a deep mountain creek swimming hole. I put a rubber glove over the Compadre housing and wrapped the top of the cabling with plastic wrap trying to make it as water resistant as possible (risky I know). Then I waded the stream, rocks and beaches. The good news was the area was surprisingly clean.... the bad news was the area was surprisingly clean. Not even a lot of foil and tabs. For a spot that gets used a LOT in the summer it was amazing. High waters must scour it clean. Anyway, I wasn't without finds though (sorry, no pics). Found a couple of pieces of a broken horse shoe, which seemed weird as rocky and narrow as this area is. Found lots of tiny fishing weights which are HARD to pinpoint when they are just the squeeze on the line type weights. Two fishing lures, some slag, a bottle cap and two modern quarters. The actual swimming hole was DEEP right now with high water (10'+). I'll have to snorkel it this summer with a friends AT Gold when the water is lower.

Sunday afternoon I took the kids to a nearby park and played some ball and did some detecting. Just outside of the tot lot I got multiple hits. The first dig was a 1957 nickel and 4" over was a child's ring. It was bent and missing the enamel or stone in the heart but it looked like silver. I straightened it out and cleaned it up and could see the .925 stamp!!! Not a lot of weight to it but it's silver and the first non-junk ring for the Compadre. My daughter helped with this recovery. She pinpointed and dug it up. She was excited about that find. Later I found a 1964 nickel that rang in below iron but I just had a feeling about it and it was in wood chips and easy digging so I dug. I'll be back to that area again looking for some silver coins.

20131103_1752511_zps97e02c1e.jpg

20131103_1755141_zpsd05d211e.jpg

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds.I just got a compadre today.Found it on craigslist.HH.

OP
OP
T

Talondale

Sep 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my 100th coin today! Found a new spot today for lunch hunts. Real trashy but lots of coins so far. Nothing older than '71 so far but it has some history. Hoping to find more as I clean the trash. Just did cherry picking today. Detecting around old trees and along BB court.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread