First test hole, first flake...

deedoubleyou

Feb 26, 2017
Northern WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, . Simplex, White's 6000 di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been wanting to get more into hunting native American artifacts, so today I went to a farm I go metal detecting at and walked down to the lower fields on the flood plain. Its a nice place thst seems like a good spot to look for a site. Found a nice high spot in the field and dug a hole about 15" in diameter and 20 inches down. I forgot the screen I just made so I just sifted through the dirt with my hands. A minute or two later it appears my first flake came out. Now I'm gonna go back with a screen lol. This is a flake, right? I'm a newb...
20230419_143805.jpg
20230419_143757.jpg
20230419_143817.jpg

Upvote 2

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it may have a little pink hue, around here that would mean it’s heat treated. As far as looking for artifacts sounds like you’ve got the right idea. Most sites I know were found after investigating a few flakes.

OP
OP
deedoubleyou

deedoubleyou

Feb 26, 2017
Northern WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, . Simplex, White's 6000 di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it may have a little pink hue, around here that would mean it’s heat treated. As far as looking for artifacts sounds like you’ve got the right idea. Most sites I know were found after investigating a few flakes.
I was admiring the pink hue. The fact that it could be a sign of heat treating is very cool! This was found in WV about 60-70 miles inland from the Ohio river. I've read about native Indian villages in the area. One was surveyed back in the 90's a few miles down the road from where I found this. I have been detecting this property for 2 years and it has a very nice field above the stream. It has a definite high spot in the field. I dug the one hole, so today I'm taking a dirt screen to dig a few more test holes around it and see what happens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread