What's new

First time beach hunter

matters

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eastern WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50
I'm heading to Nags Head this sunday staying for a week. I plan to do a lot of detecting. This will be my first time detecting on the beach any tips for a new guy?
 
Upvote 0
If we knew what detector you were using we could help more. About any machine will work on the dry sand but it is the wet stuff where it will have trouble.

Dig everything in all metal unless you have a Minelab which won't respond to small iron and will on everything else.
 
I highly recommend getting a scoop if you don't have one. Long handled ones are the best. The few hours before low tide are the best as you can follow the tide out. The wet sand is a good area to detect. However, as noted above, the detector that you plan on using is important.
 
I will be using a Minelab x-terra 50. I don't know how well she will like the salt water.
 
PFD if you are in the water!
 
Your X-Terra will do great on dry and wet sand. It is very dangerous to take it into the water. You must keep the control box dry at all costs, otherwise your circuitry will get fried (not a warranty repair either I believe). Remember, there are rogue waves, so even if the wave action is calm when you wade in does not mean it will stay that way.

Get yourself a good sandscoop (long handle if you can afford it) and a mesh pouch if you can.

That's all. Just fill in your holes when your done and have fun.
 
Thanks for the input. Not really planning on detecting out in the water much. Probally not much over my ankles. Are there features on the shoreline I should look for?
 
Read back through the pages of threads here and/or do a search for "beach tips" etc.

The xterra's tend to do a lot of falsing when the coil hits the surf.You can try it by all means,just don't hope for much.Best to just stick to wet and dry sand. Don't forget to do the dunes if any..lots of people lie there,sunbathers,lovers,romantic sunset/rise types etc etc.
 
Yeah...I'd watch the weather channel. Looks like that BIG Cat. 4 Hurricane is heading that way. Be safe.
 
I'll be there running my Minelab and the Teknetics T2

Maybe I'll see ya there!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom