First time GPS user in need of some assistance

MERCURY & THE SUN

Nov 27, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter Deep Seeking VLF Metal Detector, L-rod, Pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I bought a used Magellan Explorist 200 and have to input the coordinates manually and have run into some issues in doing so. First off I use GPS Geoplaner online for my map program to get the coordinates to which I then input into the Explorist but it's not working out like I had expected:

Lets say for example that I have gotten the coordinates 33.62001°N - 112.16051°E from Geoplaner and then go to input them into the Explorist.

The Explorist format is constructed differently for example 33° 23.99 N 112° 29.630 W

If you compare the above format with the below they are not the same and this has left me bewildered and I have no clue on how to interpret that difference.

ALSO on the Explorist I noticed that lets say I need to input a 6 where the bold numbers are it will NOT go past 5 and then it just returns to 0: 33° 23.99 N 112° 29.630 W

If I mark a spot that I did not input it accepts a number larger than 5 but if I go to manually input the coordinates like I explained it will go up to 5 and then just restarts again at zero.

I appreciate any help I can get on this one and hope I have explained it well enough for someone with more experience to understand.

Scott_B

Jan 20, 2007
Hi, I am by no means an expert on GPS, I'm sure somebody else will provide more detailed information. There are 3 common types of GPS coordinate formats. Your GPS might have a setting to be able to display the coordinates that is the same as GPS Geoplaner. Or you could go to a GPS coordinate converter website to convert it to the format that you need.
https://www.maptools.com/tutorials/lat_lon/formats
GPS Latitude and Longitude Converter

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i can change my google earth settings but not my gps setting.i would check on changing the settings on gps geoplaner.
good luck brad

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread