What's new

First time hunting

xpauliber

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2016
Messages
22
Reaction score
44
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got my AT Pro and tried it out behind the house I grew up in at my parents. It wasn't built until the 70's so I wasn't expecting to find much other than some coins under the clothes line and some junk.

I fired up the detector for the first time and I was amazed at finding a .22 caliber bullet down in the field about 6" down. We used to shoot groundhogs down in this field 20 years ago when I lived there. My Dad and brother were with me and I hit the signal and we started digging and we didn't think there was anything in the pile. We all are new to this and thought it was a false signal or something until we used the handheld pin pointer and sifted through the pile and finally located the bullet. I was amazed that this thing could detect that tiny amount of metal!!

I hit two homesteads that I knew of and found a ton of iron. I was running the detector with no discrimination and I was digging every signal to try and learn what sounds it makes and what the resulting dig produced. I was a bit discouraged because I would hit a sweet high tone on a sweep one way but it wouldn't repeat going the other direction and I was worried that maybe it was a really deep object beneath some iron and so I would dig 8-10" and only retrieve a piece of iron or maybe I wouldn't retrieve anything at all. Once I got the hole opened up and didn't find anything, I'd run the AT Pro over the open hole and there wouldn't be any signal. Frustrating, but I know it takes time to learn.

I didn't find any old coins but I did find an arrow from a big buck I missed back in 2008 and I couldn't locate it back then so that was cool. Also found an old pocket watch under an apple tree from an old homestead near that spot also which was the best find of the weekend. So much iron at that spot though and I didn't use discrimination because I was worried about missing something.

Here are some pics of some of the finds. I won't bother showing you the iron pile. :tongue3:

Finds.webpClose up finds.webp22 bullet.webpPocket Watch.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 20
hey not too shabby for your 1st time - cool pocketwatch
 
Congrats on your first machine, hunt, and finds. You are brave starting out with zero discrim, that's a lot to take in. However, it's a good idea for learning the sounds. Many hunters wind up using less and less discrimination over time because it can increase depth and improve target separation. I usually use no disc, or very little.

You're finding good stuff already. The shotgun head stamps are good to dig because that upper 60's/low 70's VDI can wind up being anything. Indian Head cents, deep silver, gold jewelry and the list goes on.
 
Welcome to the addiction. It's a great machine but does take time to learn. Read up on the iron hallow affect. That may explain your signal disappearing. Sometime it will drive you nuts. You are doing it right, dig every single, That's how you learn the language. Good luck![emoji256]

You should be able to find some threads on hallow affect here. I'd find it for you but I have to go to work.[emoji36] [emoji36]
HH RN
 
Last edited:
Xpauliber congrats on your cornucopia of finds and yes the ATP is one great machine for the price and many have found great treasure with one. Once you learn it's capabilities you will make many great discoveries yourself. Thanks for sharing your pictures and story with us.

Texas ED
 
Congrats on getting out. At least you are finding something. The more you get out and learn your detector, the more proficient you will become with it.
 
The more you do it the better you will get. The AT Pro is a good machine, it will certainly find something good. If you take it to the right place.

Best of luck to you sir!
 
I agree with J.C, that was a brave & well thought out strategy (0 disc), although running at zero was not something I learnt for many years. Lots of people believe the hype that the bells & whistles stops you digging trash & you only dig gold & silver. That's why many give up quickly, I can tell your in it for the long run.

If you can stomach it continue to learn those sounds & with time it will come good.

I have no experience with the AT Pro, but most machines I have used will make Iron sound good off the back edge. Basically when it hears the iron from a side distance (ie. not directly over it) its less reliable & can sound good. This is also true of deeper iron. But I can't explain the disappearing signals, unless they are deep patches of mineralization.
 
Welcome to the club!! And Happy Hunting! Just wait till you find your first silver, or "REAL Ring" Happy dance...:laughing9:
 
You're on the way!! May the addiction begin !! Congrats and HH
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom