First time out with the Deus

UnrepentantSinner

Sep 12, 2012
NW KS
Detector(s) used
Deus, AT GOLD, AT PRO, TM-818, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, was cussing this thing half the night. Dug a lot of pull tabs, two bottle caps, a junk watch....towards the end was hitting some clad pretty good. I imagine just need to get the hang of the thing. Was jumping back and forth between basic 1, deus fast, and the coin shooter program. Haven't really settled on what works best.

This thing seems to be very chattery, is that normal? I was getting a little grumpy because my buddy was running circles around me with his BH Platinum. Also, when I got by the tot lot, it just went nuts, beep, beep, beep, beep...constant and fast. Not sure why.

Need some more hours on the machine for sure.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It'll all come together. The more swing time you get in the better it will get.

Dunno what you mean by "very" chattery because I don't know what kind of machines you are use to. It does chip,chat,spit some but nothing like an MXT Pro or a F75 or some other "hot" machines. On the other hand if you are use to something like an AT Pro, then it might seem chatty.
I would be willing to bet that the sensitivity may have been too high for the area you were hunting based on your tot lot experience. Also disc settings for Basic 1 & Deus fast are pretty low...you're gunna hear almost everything in range of the coil.

You can try turning the sens down some and maybe a little more disc or notch out some ranges.

Good luck!

OP
OP
U

UnrepentantSinner

Sep 12, 2012
NW KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the sound of it, must be normal chatter. I didn't think it was too bad, but being next to that Bounty Hunter that was silent, it was pretty noisy. I'll have to try fiddling with the sense and disc some more, didn't want to get too crazy with it right away.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are gonna hear a lot more signals/noise/chatter from the Deus. Stick with the basic program,and go from there. You got some good advice above. Just adjust one thing at a time,until it operates like you want! Also don't forget to Ground Balance it every time you change areas,or locations. It takes time to get to know the machine.Read the manual through,from page one to the end. Do it about three times,to let everything sink in (there's a lot to learn). On average it takes 50-100hrs. on a new machine to get the hang of how to run it in different conditions,and what it's telling you,but you will notice that as you get better with it,you will dig less trash,and more good targets!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All great info from these users of the deus. It really is a great detector take it slow even if ur buddy is moving fast may seem that way at first until u get used to setting it up right soon he will think his is broken when he sees how well the deus really is. Make sure u read & understand the manual it gives a pretty in depth description of what the programs it has & what they r good for using in. Although we have some great programs listed try & get used to ones it has they r deep & right on if u bounce back & fourth it'll b frustrating there a good amount of tones & changes between the ones it comes with & it'd only gonna make it harder to learn good luck

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't think the deus is a depth demon just a wire-less fad I hate to drop that control box monitor it should be in a shock prof case if it isn't all ready...

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fad no its a depth is crazy actually everything about it is pretty amazing. The control pad clips on & its a feature that let's u take it off it has many features which make the deus xp one of the top machines

OP
OP
U

UnrepentantSinner

Sep 12, 2012
NW KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info guys. I will stay with one program next time out. I think I was having a little overload with all the shiny programs and settings. I will re-read the manual and take it slower the next time out.

I was getting pretty good depth, digging a couple of those dang zinc pennies and a pull tab deep enough that the pro-pointer would disappear in the hole.

Well, looks like I got some work ahead of me!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't think
It's probably best you don't!

I wouldn't think the deus is a depth demon
It has proven to me to be deeper than my MXT Pro or my Vx3. So far it is the only machine I've ever owned that can hit all my coins in my test garden. Including the 10" dime. It's a way deep machine. Period!

deus is just a wire-less fad
Yeah like cell phones and the internet?

I hate to drop that control box monitor it should be in a shock prof case if it isn't all ready...

Lets try this with any of your Whites. I'll supply the truck!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great vid I posted that right around when I first got my deus asking how many others could do this & survive cuz as I recall someone had said to much plastic & it looks cheap, if it were cheap no way could it do this, get em fella

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!!!!Takes a lickin, and keeps on tickin! That's one tough detector. XP must get their plastic from Glock!

I think I am a natural born pessimist:BangHead:. With that said, way in the back of my mind, I keep thinking that once the newness wears off (like all electronics) the price goes down. If I spend $2000 on one today and before the warranty runs out they are 300 bucks etc etc etc.:evil5:

I'll get over it however, because right now it looks like the best thing going:sunny:

Roy

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ull b happy like all detectors if u take the time to know what there saying this ones all that & more. Like I said befor if there is someone that happens to see the deus & thinkin about getting one but would like to c one up close if ur in mass give me a shout we can meet up & u can take it for a spin

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't think the deus is a depth demon just a wire-less fad I hate to drop that control box monitor it should be in a shock prof case if it isn't all ready...
Yeah,just like cell phones were a fad!:laughing7: Minds will change once the "other companys" get their ducks in a row,and copy it!:thumbsup: Then their's will be the greatest thing to come along,since sliced bread!:laughing7: "quote:I wouldn't think the deus is a depth demon:' You would if you used one!:thumbsup:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man some of you guys crack me up! hahahahha

No one detector will do it all like some want you to believe. The XP Dues metal detector sure does its share! I take it with me every hunt!

mntnflyr4fun

Jul 12, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Etrac with 6x8 SEF & ML 11" Pro coil, MXT PRO with D2 coil, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is my Etrac has been my go to machine for hunting coins for the last two years. Today was the 3rd hunt with my Deus, I had both machines with me for some side by side testing and at the end of the day, at the last park before heading out of town, I grabbed........................the Deus......wouldn't have believed it two days ago, but once I got my arms around it (with a little help with some setup tweaks from guys on the forums) it turned into an absolute coin hog, and I already thought I owned a coin hog.....can't wait until I actually figure it out.....

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
U

UnrepentantSinner

Sep 12, 2012
NW KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, back out with the Deus tonight. Did much better, dug one Sacaguea (sp?) dollar, 9 dimes, 1 nickel, handful of zinc crap cents, 2 matchbox cars and only dug 2 screw caps and one pull tab. Think I'm getting the hang of this thing. Also dug a hole to china and found a iron pipe. It was my entire arm length and half a Lesche digger down, so this thing does get deep. I gave up on getting a piece of that thing since I left my hacksaw at home.

Last edited:

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, back out with the Deus tonight. Did much better, dug one Sacaguea (sp?) dollar, 9 dimes, 1 nickel, handful of zinc crap cents, 2 matchbox cars and only dug 2 screw caps and one pull tab. Think I'm getting the hang of this thing. Also dug a hole to china and found a iron pipe. It was my entire arm length and half a Lesche digger down, so this thing does get deep. I gave up on getting a piece of that thing since I left my hacksaw at home.

Yeah,a Sampson digger is a great tool to have,when using a Deus. Makes getting deep targets easy!:thumbsup:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% truth it hits so many times, that I to find it better to use the samson 18" faster & its like a full size shovel in small package. Most of the times using the deus ur targets r 5+ so 1 scoop samson done

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread