What's new

First time using a metal detector :)

68kaiser

Full Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2016
Messages
147
Reaction score
405
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern California
Detector(s) used
F4, tesoro vaquero, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello I got my first metal detector to day and started looking in the back yard as soon as I got home. First dig got a quarter. My wife loves it and my 7 year old daughter found a ring she was running around and dancing she was so happy.
We did all of this in the dark but managed to get .68 cents, a ring, and 2 pull tabs. I have been reading for a few days on detecting and everyone talked about pull tabs.. I now understand.....
I went cheep on my detector. I got a harbor freight 9 setting unit. I know it not a whites or garret but I didn't want to spend a bunch and not like it.. To its credit this thing seems to do its job for what I played for it. I also got one of those small hand held units to check the pile and hole as I dig. They both work well so far.
Next will be a much better unit and this harbor freight unit will be loner. I can't wait to go to a better spot and see what I can find. I will post if I find anything good.
 
Upvote 48
Welcome to tnet Great start you will be hooked soon enough it is a lot of fun I like to find old silver found a 1921 morgan silver dollar last weekend. I have the AT PRO simple to use tells you how deep the coin is and denomination. Hope to see more posts from you have fun.
 
Grats on your first finds!
 
You are hooked now and in a few years you will be like most of us and have a closet full. My wife fusses about having so many but I call them " Loaners " . Sorta like .22 rifles and Browning shotguns when she says " How many do you need " and my answer is always the same " ONE MORE " Have fun...d2
 
Welcome to the site and welcome to the addiction of Metal detecting.
HH.
 
That's how it starts. You're on your way to being a junkie. Just wait till you see yellow in one of those holes.
 
Welcome to the forum and the hobby. Congrats on your finds and good luck.
 
You will definitely upgrade the detector now, you are addicted and it took only one time! :occasion14:
 
Your daughter is hooked too!
 
Congrats on your first finds. Welcome to the "obsession".
 
Ah yes! And the journey begins! Addictive though it is, it's still the best hobby for building a strong family bond. Greatest thing is to be able to do it with your family. My first detector was an old Radio Shack job, talk about cheap!! :) But, it found stuff for me, enough so that I saw the potential. A shame that nobody in my family, (the one I came from NOR the one I made), had the same interest in history. :dontknow:

Anyway, welcome to the club and just let your daughter keep finding rings. You'll have enough to upgrade if you want to soon enough. :)
 
I know you and your family will be hooked on metaldetecting now ,so a better machine would save you all time in separating trash from good.
 
sounds like a Awesome hunt!!
Welcome to the forum!!
 
Welcome to the party. And Congrats on getting the whole family addicted. You have the great pleasure of watching a historian in the making......
 
Welcome to tnet.... And don't worry about your machine,I did the same thing bought cheap and within two months the rings I found paid for the at pro....it's great when your hobby can pay for itself![emoji3][emoji111]🏻🤑
 
There's no turning back now, your hooked! Congrats on your finds to all if you
 
Welcome-on-Beach.webp
 
Congrats on your introductory hunt and welcome to TNET.
Sounds like all future family outings will include a little treasure hunting.
 
Welcome!Have you ever heard the saying;"You need to sift through the garbage before you get to the treasure?"
With metal detecting that couldn't be more true.I began metal detecting a few months ago and I've been hooked ever since myself.For your first time out you sure did a fine job.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
NO CURE FOR SURE AND WELCOME NEW MEMBER ....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom