First time using a metal detector

ShamrocksSecret

Feb 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I borrowed a friend's md-3010ii metal detector. I didn't have much time, so I just scanned it around in some places. I switched the mode to only gold. In the first 5 minutes it pinged and seemed to be at about 7" depth. It only beeped once. After 30 minutes, I found 5 places that it pings... all 6-8" depth. Is anyone familiar with this metal detector? I didn't have my shovel with me, so I didn't dig anything up. Would the metal detector set only on gold, ping on something not gold? Could it ping on a tiny sand sized piece that's 8" underground?

Upvote 0

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't expect much from $75 metal detector it is supposed to be a copy of Garrett Ace-250
on other forums I've seen people swear a hot rock was gold because this detector said so, NO!
its an algorithm to guess from the conductivity of an object, you can test it yourself with a piece of lead, a piece of steal,
cheep jewelry, maybe some pyrite, and something you know is gold, and see how the detector preforms on each.
the md-3010ii metal detector is very basic used for parks or beach, for gold put it on all metal (gold mode) and dig everything
might go down to 1/4 gram nugget at depth of an inch or two that's about it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions