piggman1
Silver Member
- Joined
- Apr 7, 2007
- Messages
- 3,120
- Reaction score
- 5
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Austin, TX
- Detector(s) used
- Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Yesterday I gave the my new Beach Hunter a field test on an old soccer field, and was pleased with the way it performed. So, this morning I decided to give it a try in the water. I made me a weight for the coil out of 1 1/2" PVC pipe about 15" long, filled it with sand, painted it black so it matched the detector shaft, and put 2 straps of Velcro around it to secure it to the shaft. I loaded up and headed out. All the lakes around here are controlled by the LCRA (Lower Colorado River Authority) and they do not allow metal detecting in or around their lakes, so I went to this small flood control lake that is owned and operated by the YMCA. They have a small roped off area for swimming that looked like a good place to learn.
The water was kind of murky and you couldn't see the coil once you were about knee deep. At about chest level you were totally blind, and the bottom was made up of small rocks mixed in with the regular rocks. First thing learned was, sand scoops (long handle heavy duty) were not made for rock bottoms, but I managed anyway. Second thing learned was finding the place to dig when you can't see the coil or the bottom where you are hunting. Once we got through these obstacles things went pretty smooth. I hit a target, bulldoze through the rocks with the scoop, and retrieve my target, even if it took me 15 to 20 tries to get it. If it would have been sand it would have been a lot easier, but in rock it was a real challenge. It is a totally different detecting experience, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My finds for the morning were your normal bottle caps and pull tabs, a little bit of clad, a pizza token, a small 10K ring, and my neatest find was a wheat penny charm with a silver moose insert.
I had a blast, found some cool stuff, and really like this detector. This is a whole new and different phase of metal detecting then I am use to. The only thing missing is a beach.
The water was kind of murky and you couldn't see the coil once you were about knee deep. At about chest level you were totally blind, and the bottom was made up of small rocks mixed in with the regular rocks. First thing learned was, sand scoops (long handle heavy duty) were not made for rock bottoms, but I managed anyway. Second thing learned was finding the place to dig when you can't see the coil or the bottom where you are hunting. Once we got through these obstacles things went pretty smooth. I hit a target, bulldoze through the rocks with the scoop, and retrieve my target, even if it took me 15 to 20 tries to get it. If it would have been sand it would have been a lot easier, but in rock it was a real challenge. It is a totally different detecting experience, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My finds for the morning were your normal bottle caps and pull tabs, a little bit of clad, a pizza token, a small 10K ring, and my neatest find was a wheat penny charm with a silver moose insert.
I had a blast, found some cool stuff, and really like this detector. This is a whole new and different phase of metal detecting then I am use to. The only thing missing is a beach.
Attachments
Upvote
0








